Chapter 3.

*****

I stood on the balcony of my hotel room as I scrolled through my phone. It was dark out as it was four in the morning, everyone else was still asleep. We usually woke up around three to do some training, but I guess the others were taking our holiday a lot more seriously than I was. I had been up for an hour taking in the view of the glittering city below.

I dialled my father Corey's number once I got to it and looked out towards the forest in the distance wondering if Karabo was already awake. It would have been nice to see him so early in the morning...

"Eli, everything alright?" He answered.

"Yes. I –"

"How is it out there? Better weather than here, I hope. It's freezing."

"The weather's great, Paps. Can you –"

"Where's Tammy?" He cut me off again. I frowned while leaning back against the wall beside the glass doors I had come out onto the balcony through.

"She's asleep."

"You guys having fun?" I knew his question was less aimed at everyone else and more aimed at me because of the tone of voice he used.

"Yes, Paps." I broke a smile as my excitement heightened, "Something happened." I grinned.

"Mmm... Sounds exciting. Did you meet someone?"

"He met someone?!" I heard my Dad's voice somewhere in the background.

"Sort of. Uh, Paps. I didn't call to talk about that, though. How's the pack?"

"You're on vacation." I heard my Dad say.

"This isn't work, it's... concern," I said furrowing my brows at myself. Why did I have to explain why I was checking on my pack anyway?

"Pack is fine. See you next week."

"Paps," I called seriously.

"Eli, you need to learn to relax a little." He said before sighing, "The pack is doing fine. We've just gotten another rogue attack." I straightened from my leaning position. Just before I had left there had been two incidents a few weeks apart of wolves without packs – known as rogue wolves – attacking members of our pack on our territory.

"'Just another rogue attack'? How can you say that like it's a normal occurrence? Did anyone get hurt?" I asked.

"One wolf, he's healed now. We've got it taken care of; we managed to capture the rogue."

"One rogue?" I asked confused.

"Yes."

Why would a lone wolf attack a pack as big as ours? Unless, he only intended to hurt one of our wolves. The previous two times there were also just three or two wolves. We had killed the pair that trespassed the previous week, it was dark and they attacked a group of pups. I had been pissed at the wolves guarding our fence for somehow not noticing two rogue wolves pass them by. Was this wolf from the same rogue group as the others?

"Have you questioned him?" I asked.

"Yes, surprisingly he answered without any force. His group of wolves are not related to the wolves we killed previously, but he had heard about their attack on us. Like them, he claims we kidnapped one of their wolves, he wanted to get a hostage so that we could make an exchange."

I frowned. Rogue disappearances seemed to be becoming more frequent. We needed to look into it, in case it became a bigger threat to our pack.

"How does he know the missing wolf did not just leave their group?" I asked.