Chapter 6

I trudge through the front doors of the school, definitely not wanting to be here. As soon as I make it through the doors I'm greeted by an overly happy Mitchell. Probably because he was finally allowed to leave his house now that his concussion is almost completely resolved.

"Good morning, Sky."

"Mitchell."

"Why so glum chum?"

"It's too early for your crap Marner."

"Awe I'm sorry." He wrapped his left arm around my shoulders as we approached my locker.

I turned so I was facing him and placed my forehead on his shoulder. He wraps both his arms around me, encouraging me to do the same.

I groan, "I don't want to be here."

"When do you ever?"

"True. Ugh."

"Get your stuff and I'll give you a piggy back ride to Art."

"Well you know full well I ain't gonna pass that up."

He laughs at my response and lets me go so I can get my stuff for class.

I grab my pencil case and purse knowing I don't need anything else for art and that I have time to get my stuff before next period after flex.

When I close my locker Mitch turns his back to me and bends his knees enough to allow me to jump onto his back. As he straightens himself up Sara and Riley walk towards us to go to their lockers that are right beside mine.

"Hello, Marner." Sara chuckles.

"What are you guys doing?" Riley questioned with a raised brow.

"She doesn't want to be here so I'm making sure she gets to class." Mitch chuckles.

"Rude. You know I would show up. I have to pass. I just wouldn't be happy about it."

"Whatever. See you girls later."

We all exchanged goodbyes and Mitch starts walking.

"Mitch the art room is the other way." I chuckle at the fact he's getting lost in the school.

"Oh I know. We're going to the coffee bar first. I think we both need it. But mostly you."

"Whatever."

Once we get to the coffee bar our school finally decided to put in (Thank the Lord), Mitch pays for both our coffees and hands me both to hold so he can get us to class without dropping me.

"Thanks, Mitchy." I say as I lean forward just enough to kiss his cheek.

"Your welcome, Sky." He keeps his head down, watching his feet as he walks up the stairs.

Once we get to the class Mitch sets me down and I take a seat. Mitch sits beside me, mind you we have NEVER sat together so I am trying to prepare myself for the comments to come.

As our teacher enters the class she scans the room to see who is already here before class starts, once she notices Mitch and I together you can hear an audible gasp escape her lips as she quickly covers her mouth as she realizes what she just did.

I feel my cheeks flush as she turns and  walks to her desk.

Mitch and I make eye contact and simultaneously cringe, then start laughing.

The cringe is so real I can handle it.

***

I'm sitting in my room alone, in the dark as usual. And like many times before, I can't stop thinking about everything at once.

So, okay, let's get real here for a second.

I have periods of time, where all of my feelings which I have pushed down, surface at once. They over flow. I cry. I scream. I stop breathing. And then I get numb.

Numb to the emotional pain. Numb to the physical pain. Numb to the world.

This numbness lasts for a couple minutes, hours, days, sometimes weeks. In these weeks I have to pretend. Pretend I'm fine. Pretend I'm happy.

In these weeks, I find things funny, but my laugh is fake.

Now, you may be asking: "Sky, where is this coming from?"

Well, here's your answer: I am currently finishing up my crying and screaming fit. And in between these two very opposite groups of emotion I find this eerily calm atmosphere. Where nothing can touch me. I am not quite numb to the world, but I find bliss and quietness in these few short moments. It's the eye of my storm. The calm before the rush; or lack thereof.

But as I feel the numbness approach I begin to stress about how long this time will last, how bad will it be?

And then...

I feel the muscles in my face fall into my RBF, the perpetually tired eyes, the fallen smile. I feel the muscles in my body loosen and become limp as my limbs dangle from my body. All control leaves me. I am now a robot. A zombie.

And who knows what will happen this time.

***
Hey guys sorry for the late update but at least it's here. Ummmm yea. Sorry though I've just been dealing with a very full plate lately so I will hopefully be updating soon but no promises. 😘♥️