Chapter Four - Frysta

Author's Note: I have nothing to do with my time now that I'm on winter break except write and attempt to find a job. One of those things is going well. I bet you can guess which one! Anyway, I'm sure if you've taken a gander at my "cast list" you'll have noticed Frey is Colin O'Donoghue, of Once Upon a Time fame. I can't help it. I went through a surprising amount of casting consideration for dear old Frey, as he's a bit of a Robin Hood type. Also I am watching BBC Robin Hood right now. Again. I don't know why. It just gives me all the feels, oh man. This is irrelevant. THE POINT IS that Frey was originally intended to be a one-off and then something sparked the potential and he's now one of my favorite characters. You will understand as time progresses, I assure you. Good ol' Frey. The hottie McHottie of Asgard. Okay. I've lost my mind. It's fine. It is worth noting that this chapter is IMPORTANT. It may not be immediately apparent but I promise a lot is to be learned from this chapter. ALSO. Recompense is a finalist for the Watty Awards and I have to thank you all so much for that!! Voting starts January 6th, I believe! Now onto the story! Please comment and vote and share your infinite wisdom with me. I could use it.

......................................

......................................

Chapter Four - Frysta, or Freeze

I open my eyes gingerly, the lids not wanting to cooperate in any particular way. They stick together with a certain morning-ness and finally I wipe them clean and force them open. I have a moment of panic wherein I forget my blindness and then it comes back to me in very certain detail. I wonder if it’s the same for those who lose limbs, waking up some mornings and forgetting about it entirely after a particularly sound sleep only for the realization to have to sink in all over again. 

“How long was I asleep?” I mumble.

“Three days. Much has transpired in our absence,” Loki says from somewhere in the room. I push myself into a sitting position slowly, every inch of my body protesting loudly. “Good morning.”

“What do you mean?” I ask. He appears beside me and his eyes are bleary. I reach up to touch his cheek, but he moves away at the last moment. “Did you sleep at all?”

He looks away, “Yes.”

I purse my lips, well aware that he is lying, but I let it slide. “I presume you are going to do that thing where you think you are sparing me somehow by keeping me out of the loop.”

“Valkyrie, please.” His tone is foreign to my ears.

“I’m not arguing with you, I promise. I am eternally grateful to you. For saving my life. Again,” I sigh and get out of the bed, looking for a way of stifling the chill on my bare skin. 

“You have saved mine many a time as well. You would think that at this point we would have learnt to keep ourselves from harm,” Loki murmurs quietly, amusement clear in his voice. I smile to myself and go to Loki’s closet and remove a pair of leather britches and a (surprise) green shirt. I slip on my own boots, left at the end of the bed with the rest of my destroyed clothing. Loki is still sitting on the edge of the bed and I bend over and kiss him on the forehead.

I touch his cheek, “Come join me for breakfast when you’re feeling up to it, love.”

“Fine,” he says thoughtfully. He looks up and as I make my way out the door he asks, “Are those my clothes?”

I merely answer him with an amused laugh, clutching my side as soreness tears through me. Making my way down the halls again is strangely surreal. It is just the same as when I left and yet something about it feels different. Or maybe it is I who have changed. The pain in my side has subsided a little and I’m certain it is at least beginning to heal. I push away any and all notions of excitement and danger and especially dragons and I find Loki’s first words of the mornign eating away at me slowly. Such careful diction, words spoken slowly and with distinct care. Something must be wrong. But then my all-too familiar hunger is also eating away at me and I decide to listen to that grumbling instead.