4. Tsunami

A few years ago, I watched some Youtube videos about the tsunamis that hit Japan and Indonesia, but I don't remember if they were that huge.

There at the horizon, dark blue sea is rising in slow motion, or perhaps this is what it seems at first glance from distance; I don't think it's slow at all.

The hiss coming from the blue mountains makes my hair stand on end. The loudest and the scariest hiss I have ever heard. The sea is in a gloomy mood today, threatening us with his angry grumble. Only God knows how this grumble really sounds like near these gigantic waves.

Suddenly, the sea crawls away from the beach. As if someone pulls this blue carpet, revealing the yellow sandy floor beneath. The tsunami grows even more, and I wonder when it is going to stop growing.

"RUN! RUN!" a man from the crowd howls, releasing me from the petrifying spell of the breath-taking sight. Oh shit! I'm finally awake. The monstrous wave is not only growing; it's coming closer. The blue mountains will be descending upon us. Have I been waiting for this man to realize this simple fact?

Well, it's not only me who comes back to his senses. "Run! Run! Run!" everybody cries, sprinting away from the beach.

I hurry back to the bike. The boy, whom I almost hit a few minutes ago, dashes past me and mounts its saddle. "Hey! Hey!" I bellow. Before the bike picks up speed, I catch him, pull him from his shirt and throw him to the ground.

"What do you think you're doing?" I growl. He doesn't seem to be concerned with my bellowing. His wide eyes are not at me. They are fixated on the coming tsunami. He totally ignores me when he rises and sprints south with the racing crowd. I should be doing the same. The wave is getting bigger and darker as it approaches.

No, soldier! I remind myself. The Civic is there and I'm about to accomplish my mission. I feel stupid about that, but here I am; mounting the saddle, riding the bicycle to the wrong direction. Everyone is running away from the Corniche, from the sea, while I'm still sticking to my predetermined mission route.

I reach the Civic at last. The bicycle falls as I jump from it and lunge at the car door. Idiot! How did I forget what happened yesterday? The smashed rear windshield is my only way to get myself inside. I dive inside the car, and ouch! My hand screams as it glides over a pointed glass shard. I'm not sure how serious the cut is because my eyes are now busy scanning the car, but shit! No keys in the ignition. Maybe I dropped it yesterday under the driver's seat. Try to remember quickly, Ali! You didn't take the key from the ignition after your second try. If the chain is not here, then someone must have visited the vehicle last night. Now get your ass out of here!

Sorry, Commodore Yousry; I have failed you. I must abort mission now.

I slide myself over the back seat, then over the truck before I land on the asphalt. Crap! The wave is even huger than I thought, yet still I have time to run away. My hands are glued to the bike handlebars and my legs pedal hysterically. Now I'm heading south—where I should have headed to from the beginning. I hope I won't regret the time I wasted thanks to my failed mission. Well, I'm regretting it already.

The sea roars behind me, but I should keep my eyes ahead to keep my pace without hitting one of those runways, or bumping into one of those dead cars. Don't look back! I remind myself for the tenth time, but I can't help it. The roar is getting louder. Louder than the screams coming from the streets and the apartments above. Alexandria is receiving its most shocking wake up call ever.

My throbbing heart stops beating for a moment as I hear a horrifying crack. Don't look back! Don't look back! But again, I look over my shoulder, gaping at the ghastly wave that sweeps away everything in its way. People, cars, light poles and even buildings. Yes, that horrendous crack I have just heard comes from a row of collapsing blocks. Now I can't see them anymore as the tsunami gulps them down.