Chapter 11

I woke the next morning to see that Zoey was still fast asleep in my bed. Getting up as quietly as I could I went to go take a shower. Once I had finished and put on comfy pair of sweatpants, I crept out of the bathroom. Zoey tossed and turned in bed, but did not wake. Tiptoeing over to her, I pulled the comforter up over her shoulders, tucking it in around her. Placing a warm kiss on her forehead, I crept out of the room and down the stairs.

I found Sam in the kitchen, talking on the phone. His back was turned to me so I decided to go about making my tea.
"You know how this works Adrian. I can't have anyone I care about getting hurt. These people are dangerous." I couldn't hear Adrian's reply on the other end of the line. I tried not to listen to what Sam was saying but it was impossible not to overhear. Feeling guilty I made an effort to be heard as I rummaged for a cup. Sam's voice cut off abruptly as he swung towards me. I gave him a warm smile. He smiled in return but his eyes were clouded.

"I have to go. I'll call you back later." Sam hung up the phone.

After filling my cup with warm water I rummaged around the closet until I found some peppermint tea. Looking over my shoulder at Sam I called, "Do you want any tea?"

"I'm good. I'm more of a coffee person."

I turned to give him a raised eyebrow look. "Please don't tell me you're one of those people who can't function without their coffee fix."

He chuckled softly. "Nope. But Zoey is."

I groaned. "That stuff isn't healthy. It's bad for your nerves." Sam came up behind me as I took a seat at the counter. "That's it. I'm putting her on a strict no coffee diet."

"Good luck with that. The last time someone tried to do that they almost lost a limb." Sam's arms wrapped around my waist and I felt his lips caress my forehead. "I have a surprise for you."

I twirled around in my seat, a huge smile growing on my face. "What is it?"

"Lexie planned an entire day for all of us. She wants to get to know you."

It was a struggle to keep the smile on my face. Great. Just great. Please just kill me now. I didn't know what Lexie had planned, but it couldn't be good.

"Sounds great." I couldn't help the hint of sarcasm that came out. Sam didn't seem to notice.

Zoey came down fifteen minutes later, whereupon I dragged her right back up the stairs to get ready for the day. She moaned and groaned about needing coffee but true to my word I kept her away from the kitchen. As soon as I mentioned that we were spending the day with Lexie, Zoey perked up. I felt my heart clench painfully. It looked as if I wouldn't be finding an ally there. Zoey was as much under that bitch's spell as Sam was.
I let Zoey help me with my makeup, allowing her to put on a little more than usual. I wanted to look good in front of that bitch. Sam was mine. I didn't know where all of this possessive anger was coming from, but I didn't care. That bitch better not try anything. And if she did, she would learn just what it meant to mess with a Kennedy. Oh, I wouldn't be the first to throw a punch, but I sure as hell would fight back.

When the both of us were ready we made our way down the stairs to find that Adrian and Lexie were already waiting with Sam. Adrian's Land Rover was parked out front, seeing as it was the only vehicle that would fit all five of us. A huge breath of relief escaped my lungs when Lexie sat in the front with Adrian, leaving Sam to sit beside me in the back. I leaned into his chest as we drove away from the mansion. I can't remember how long we stayed like that, me drinking in his warmth, and him playing with the dark trusses of my hair.