The Last One: Chapter 12

Chapter 12:

I opened my eyes for two seconds and instantly regretted it. Xavier was sitting at the foot of my bed, asleep. I sat up and saw how exhausted he looked. I kicked his foot and he growled. I kicked it again and he shot up and pinned me down on the bed, his eyes pitch black. I growled loudly and he snapped out of whatever was wrong. He got off me and ran a hand through his hair and laid his head on a pillow. He looked tired and stressed. 'We could relieve that stress...' My wolf whined softly. I disapprove instantly.

I just lost my brother.

My wolf goes back to the dark corners of my mind and curls up. She's so broken about this. We're losing our mate and our brother was killed savagely. She wanted revenge just as much as I did, but she couldn't do that just yet. I rolled back over and pulled the blankets over me. I was cold.

I was starting to fall asleep when I felt Xavier get out of my bed. I heard the door slam shut and I got up slowly. I stood up and looked out into the hall. I saw Xavier leaning against the wall, his legs crossed at the ankles and his arms crossed. He was staring down at his feet. His dark brown hair, almost black, covered his face up from me. He didn't seem aware that I was awake, until he spoke in a deep, monotone voice that held no emotion. "I see you're awake." He doesn't look up and I walk out into the hallway and close my door quietly.

It was still early and the sun hasn't even come up yet. "Yeah, I guess." I responded, trying to make an effort to be nice. He finally looked up at me and his eyes were bloodshot, his face was pale, and he had dark circles around his eyes. His green eyes seemed to have changed to a greenish-blueish color, no longer the forest green I've come to melt under. "How's Klayton and Dalia been doing?" He asks, surprising me that he cares. "They've been training a lot, but they're fine." I say, waiting to see his reaction.

To my surprise, he just nods. "You're full of surprises today." I mutter and lean against the door. He doesn't say anything. After that, there's an awkward, uneasy silence. He looks down again. I look out the closest window and I snap my head towards Xavier when he starts walking towards me. He gets in my face and there is barely any space left between us. I push against the door and he leans down to my ear. "I don't trust them. Not in the least bit." He says darkly, no emotion in his voice. He locks eyes with me and they are filled with nothing, but irritation and anger.

He pulls away, making his way down the hall. He seems different, more on edge almost. I go back into my room and get my stuff done, since I have training with Klayton and Dalia.

I turn around and watch my cousin and aunt spar. Dalia was a complete psycokinesist and was using that against Klayton. Klayton looked like he was winning, but Dalia quickly retaliated. Dalia kicked the side of his leg and it popped and Klayton fell. He landed on his hands and knees. Dalia glanced up at me and nodded. I made an ice dagger and ran up to him, kicking his legs out from under him and pinned him, pressing the dagger's smooth side on his neck. He looked surprised and he gulped nervously.

He looked over my shoulder and I heard a deep growl. My head snapped behind me and I saw Xavier standing behind me, his large, tall, intimidating form looming over me. He had his arms crossed and didn't look too impressed. He jabbed his thumb behind him. "Klayton, let me take over." I stood up and narrowed my eyes at him curiously. 'He just wants to see how we've progressed.' My wolf said. I snorted at her internally. 'Yeah, right. He just wants to touch us.'

'Then don't let him.' She said darkly and I smirked. 'You're a genius, you know that?' I say and she rolls her eyes at me. 'You don't think I know this already?' She says playfully. Xavier gets into a fighting stance and so do I. I know his next move and quickly dodge him. I quickly make an ice dagger and kick his legs out from under him. I straddle him with the smooth side of the dagger pressed against his neck. I smirk at his impressed and shocked expression. His eyes soon darken and I quickly get up.