The Last One: Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

I felt the pain in my shoulder increase the closer I got to the clearing. Xavier's scent was all I could smell. I pushed through the brush and saw him laying on the ground, gritting his teeth, clutching his shoulder, and groaning.

I got to his side quickly and saw that his shoulder and hand was coated in blood. I gently moved his hand and put my hand where his was. I felt my hand turn cold and black frost covered the wound. I slowly took my hand off and saw that it was a bullet wound. I noticed that he wasn't moving, except for the slow rise and fall of his chest.

I tried to contact Brent, Alex, or Jason, but to no avail. I remembered that you can't mind link with anybody, except your pack members. I heard a twig snap and growled lowly, "Hey, it's fine. Whats wrong?" Alexander came and leaned down next to me. He looked at the wound in confusion, then looked up at me, "You...did that?" I nodded my head. He looked back down at it, "The frost is covering the wound as if its a bandage. Your frost is bandaging his wound." I nodded again, "I know."

I heard his heartbeat start to slow, "Alex, get somebody here to help us! We need a car." I growled at him. He nodded and a few minutes later, a van drove out of the bushes. Brent came out of the drivers side door and helped Alex put him in the van. I got in next to Xavier's limp body and his heartbeat was beating at a heart wrenchingly slow pace. I boomed furiously, "Drive!" Brent stepped on it and headed back to the pack house.

~~~

I paced impatiently in Xavier's room. It's been about three hours since he went into surgery. The door slammed open and Brent stood in the doorway, "He's out," was all he said. I ran down to the infirmary and pushed through the doors. Xavier was as pale as I've ever seen him and was asleep. Alex was washing his hands in the sink, "He was shot with a silver bullet, he's lucky to be alive." I pulled a chair up next to his bed and tentatively grabbed his hand, "Is he in a comatose?" Alex walked over to the other side, "No, he just got out. He's asleep, and will be for a little while."

I looked at Xavier and he looked so peaceful. He's always so tense and strict. Alex walked out of the room and I stayed there and watched him sleep.

I looked at his shoulder and touched it, making the wound frost over. I heard someone walk in and Jace walked up next to me. He looked at Xavier and sighed, "He's tough to get along with, isn't he?" I looked down at his hand in mine and rubbed my thumb in circles, "Yeah,"

Jace looked down at me, "So, why don't you leave? We could go back into hiding together. We can go back to being on our own, depending on nothing, but our instincts." I closed my eyes, "I don't like hiding. I want to be able to be happy and carefree. I'm following my instincts, Jace. My instincts tell me to be with my mate, even if he pushes me away."

~~~

I was about to leave, its been five hours and Xavier still wasn't up. I stood up, but Xavier grabbed my wrist and his eyes fluttered open.

I smiled and sat back down, "You sleep good?" I asked and he nodded slightly, "For the most part." I could feel his pain grow and his green eyes filled with pain. I frosted the wound over and the pain went away.

He looked at me, "So you've been keeping the pain away," I nodded, "Yeah," He smiled slightly, which was the first time I've seen him smile. I still had my cloak hood up and Xavier took it off, his fingers brushing against my cheek, "I don't see why you leave that on." I locked eyes with him, "I leave it up to protect myself, like I always have." I growled lowly, looking away from him.

I thought about what Brent said in the kitchen, "What happened to you that made you like this?" I looked up and Xavier looked a little confused, "Like what?"