40

Putting on my uniform for the first time was almost like living in a sort of dream. It was tight, dark, and I was ready for a fight. I stretched my arms out and pulled my blonde hair into a tight ponytail. Looking over myself in the mirror, I knew I was not the same Maggie I was all those years ago. The Maggie that was scared of her step-dad. The Maggie that couldn't even protect herself. I was not that same person. In just a short amount of time, I had changed so drastically. I hardly even recognized myself. It wasnt so much so that I hated my new self, but it was almost pride I felt when I realized how I had changed. I was stronger, more independent. But I was still me. Just a tougher version of my old self.

Steve had shown us his uniform, all blue with red and white stripes on his abdomen. It had a large white star plastered in the center of his chest. His helmet was blue as well, a large white A on its front and a leather chinstrap around his sharp jaw. It was much like his stupid pajama looking costume he had worn in so many performances, but it was much more practical and combat ready. It hugged his body and had straps to hold various weapons. It had thicker areas, and thinner areas to allow precise movements and armor. He even had a large, round shield painted red white and blue, made out of vibranium. It was the strongest metal on earth, from what Howrad had told me. It sucked up the energy from any blow, making even bullets feel like cotton balls, and it was three times lighter than steel.

We were preparing for battle. The first real fight in the war as a team. I was in my room, getting myself prepared. I shuffled over to the bed where my weapons layed strewn about. The first thing I picked up was my semi-automatic 9mm pistol. It was small amd black, perfect for hand to hand combat. Slipping it into the back of my waistband, I noticed a new presence near me.

"Are you ready?" Steve asked, dressed in his uniform. He stood in my doorway, watching me take a nervous breath. Excitement was pounding through me, but so was a little bit of fear. Anything could happen. I had to be prepared for the worst case scenario. And that was losing Steve or Bucky. I knew deep inside me, I would risk anything to protect them. Life without those two, wouldn't even really be life at all.

"Yeah." I smiled back at him. I picked up the large buckknife off of the bed beside me and shoved it into one of the straps on my right boot. I did the same with the three throwing knives on the bed with my left boot. I picked up my gloves and tugged them over my knuckles. "Lets go." I breathed. Steve dipped his head and I moved forward to follow behind him. Howard had a plane ready for us outside and Steve and I were the last ones out there. It was dawn, the sun slowly rising into the gray sky above the distant horizon. The cool crisp air chilled my lungs as I breathed in a large breath through my nose. It seemed to bring a little more awareness to my body, waking me up just slightly more than I already was.

The breeze ruffled through my ponytail as Steve and I made our way out to the plane sitting in the middle of the concrete runway. I was the first to the steps of the plane entrance, and I made my way up them quickly with Steve behind me. Bucky was sat in the first seat that came into my view, with an empty seat beside him. His eyes glanced up and met mine, a look of pure wonder held within them as he gazed at me. I smirked at him and watched his eyes follow my every movement as I sat down beside him. He smiled largely at me and looked me up and down. "You look amazing." he whispered over to me. My nose scrunched up in a small giggle. Dum Dum sat on my other side with Steve next to him. Across from Bucky sat Gabe Jones, the Black man on our team. Beside him was Jaques Dernier, the Frenchman. Then was James Montgomery Fallsworth, whom we called Monty. And lastly was the Asian man, Jim Morita.

The pilot of our plane started up the engine, the aircraft shuttering to life. The sound rattled in my ears, and I buckled myself into my seat like the others. I toyed with my locket and closed my eyes while waiting for the plane to finish starting up. "You still have that?" Bucky asked from beside me.