8

I busted through the front door of the apartments and rushed in, panting and scanning the area for Sara. "Mom? Mom!" I called out. Mom is sick. Steve's words played over in my head. Why wasnt I told this before? "Mom!" I shouted again. I was the first to get home. Bucky stayed back with Steve since he couldnt keep up.

"In here." I could hear her sweet, tired voice trail from her bedroom. I sucked in a breath and bolted into her room. She was laying in bed with the blankets pulled up to her hips and her hands folded over her stomach. "Hey, darling. How was the park?" she asked groggily.

"Mom, whats wrong? Why didnt you tell me you were sick?" I said frantically, kneeling beside her bed and grabbing hold of her chilly hands.

She smiled softly at me and have my hands a gentle squeeze. "Its nothing, dear. Dont worry about me. I will be just fine." she insisted. I looked at her closely and she seemed a little paler than normal.

"Have you been to the doctor?" I asked calmly.

She shook her head slowly. "No. Im sure its just the flu." she said. I sighed and looked at her with worry.

"Im getting the doctor anyway." I said sternly.

"No, dear. There's no need." she said. I shook my head and stood up, kissing her forhead.

"Its better to be safe than sorry." I whispered, exiting the room quietly and gently shutting the door so she may get some rest. I snagged my jacket and tugged it over my shoulders, heading to the door and flinging it open only to be met my Bucky and Steve's shocked faces.

"Mags, are you okay?" Bucky asked, seeing the worry deep in my eyes. I had to keep her okay. She reminded me so much of my real father and she took me in when I had nothing. I took a deep breath and relaxed at the sight of them.

"Im going to get a house doctor. I just want to make sure its nothing major." I stated simply, brushing past the two boys. A warm hand snagged my arm and I looked up to Bucky.

"I will go with you." he said. I nodded slightly, accepting him, and he released my arm. "Steve, you should go comfort Sara while we're gone. We wont be long." he said, turning to Steve. Steve nodded and went inside with a sad expression, shutting the door behind himself. Bucky took my hand in his and gave it a squeeze after tangling our fingers together. I looked at him, expressionless. As much as I liked it, now was not the time. I pulled my hand out of his and trailed doen the steps and to the sidewalk, going in the direction of the doctors office.

Bucky trotted up behind me, but didnt say a word. I kept my hands balled up in fists inside my pockets and stared at my feet as I walked at a quick pace. I focused on the slap of my feet in the cement and tuned everything else out. "Im sorry." Bucky murmered at my side, pulling me out of my trance.

"For what?" I raised my brow at him curiously. He stared at the sidewalk as we went and his jaw clenched, doing that adorable thing guys do when they're frustrated.

"I shouldn't be flirting when younhave to deal with this stuff." he frowned guiltily. I bit dosn in my lower lip. Bucky was only being nice. I glanced over at himas we walked and then down at his hand swinging at his side. I reached out with my hand and tangled my fingers with his. His crystal blue eyes lifted to meet mine and a glimmer sparked deep within his eyes.

I gave him a soft smirk. "Im glad you're with me through it." I said. He smiled and nodded, gripping my hand all the way there.

---

The bald doctor closed her bedroom door behind himself and sighed with disappointment. He took off his glasses and folded them up, shoving them into his coat pocket. I clutched at the fabric of my shirt over my chest with both of my hands and Bucky kept his hand on the small of my back to keep me grounded, and an arm slung over Steve's shoulders for the same reason. "How is she, Doc?" Steve spoke up.