Chapter two

Chapter two

(Chris' POV)

"The girl wants to see me?" I asked, needing clarification.

"Yes," Sgt White replied. "She's a peculiar one, Parker. Won't answer any questions unless she gets to speak to you. Sounds crazy, if you ask me."

"Why me? I thought this was meant to stay confidential!"

"Parker, I'm not forcing you to speak to the damn girl."

"So why are you telling me this?"

"Because you know damn well this would help us out with our case. I don't even know the girl's name. She knows things that we don't, and if the only way we get those things outta her is by letting her talk to you then it would help us a great deal."

I raised a brow and asked, "And what if she still refuses to answer questions? Sounds fishy to me - as if she was meant to be found."

Sergeant White sat forward in his chair and crossed his arms. "What are you trying to say?"

"What if she's some sorta spy - a chick that works for Jonah - that's playing the innocent card and is trying to get information? I mean, why else would she want to see me?"

"I don't know why she wants to see you, Parker, but I'm not sure I agree with your accusation. She's been stuck with those kind of people for God knows how long; that kinda shit can mess up a person."

"Maybe. Still seems fishy to me," I replied.

"Well, if she is a spy working for Jonah, she must have known he was going to be killed. Otherwise, why would there be a need for her to be in there?"

I hadn't thought about that.

"So, what exactly is your plan?" I asked.

"Let her talk to you - see what she has to say. Find out as much information about her as you can.  I wanna know who she is and what she has to do with Jonah Lawrence." He took a handgun from his pocket and handed it to me. "Just in case," he said.

A girl around nineteen entered the room. If she was playing the innocent card, it was surely working. Her dark hair fell down to her waist and she had dark brown eyes. She had high cheekbones and full lips and she was strangely alluring. However, she looked timid and weak and I wondered just how long she had been in that wardrobe.

She sat down opposite me and studied me for a minute. She lifted her chin up and asked, "Are you the man that killed Jonah?"

I nodded once.

She bluntly asked, "Why?"

"Excuse me?"

The girl looked me straight in the eye. "Why are you the man who killed Jonah?" she asked. She looked almost upset about it.

Bewildered, I retorted, "Why are you the girl he kept in his closet?"

Her gaze dropped to the desk that separated the two of us. She stayed silent for several minutes. It was as if she was afraid to talk.

"What's your name?" I asked hesitantly.

I expected her not to reply when she quietly answered, "Alyssa."

I nodded. "Thanks."

"Thanks? Thanks for what?"

"For telling me your name. I thought you weren't going to answer."