Missed

Daichi sighed for the umpteenth time today.

Being the captain of the volleyball club, it was his job to ensure that everyone would be in their best condition, and of course, to keep the team from causing any more havoc. Today was no different: Hinata and Kageyama were calling each other names while Yachi tried to calm them down, Tsukishima and Yamaguchi were snickering at the freak duo, Tanaka and Nishinoya were up to their antics in wooing – and failing – Kiyoko, and Ennoshita, Kinoshita, and Narita were minding their own business. It didn't help that Ukai and Takeda weren't around due to their obligations outside the club so Daichi had to handle this mess himself.

Before he could reprimand the others, a hand placed itself on the captain's shoulder. The teen expected to see his trusty vice-captain, but instead he saw the friendly face of Karasuno's ace.

"Don't stress yourself too much." Asahi advised.

Daichi grinned at the gesture and nodded. Any act of concern was enough to make him last any hectic day and he was willing to take it from anyone.

Karasuno's captain faced his team with a stern expression. "Alright, everyone! Listen up!"

The hours seemed to fly as the crows went on with their practice after some discipline from the angered 3rd year. The time to go home came and the Karasuno team were packing their things.

"Are you sure you don't want any company?" Asahi asked after Daichi exclaimed that he would stay to clean up.

The male in question grinned. "I got the company I need."

The ace furrowed his eyebrows. "Just...don't stay too late."

The team bid their captain goodbye before heading outside the gym. Once they were out of sight, the remaining member went to pick up any stray volleyball and proceeded to the storage closet where he fixed anything that seemed out of place.

"Rough day, huh?"

Daichi didn't even have to turn around to identify whose voice it was.

"Yeah, but hasn't it always?" He exclaimed. "Although, it would have been much better if you were there beside me, Suga."

The vice-captain chuckled. "But I'm always beside you."

"Are you now?" Daichi asked.

It was silent for a wee moment before the other responded. "...yeah."

Daichi still hadn't looked at his companion as he counted the storage inventory before grabbing a mop to clean the gym floor.

"Daichi."

"Hmm?"

"Please don't be too hard on yourself."

Karasuno's captain stopped his actions and let out a shaky sigh. Of all gestures he was shown with, it would always be Sugawara's that had an impact on him. They were really close friends and had always been together since they first joined the volleyball team so no one knew him better than the cheery brown-eyed male. Daichi wasn't saying that his other fellow 3rd year, Asahi, wasn't a good friend (he certainly was) but the glass-heart giant appeared to be fearful of him. Only Sugawara had some kind of immunity against Daichi's scary captain aura.

"You have to be strong." Suga continued. "You are the captain."

Daichi hung his head low and resumed mopping a certain spot even though it was already clean. "I know."

As he stayed at the same location, droplets of water fell on the floor.

"Daichi?"

Said person gulped in air before speaking. "You'll always be my vice-captain, Suga. Always. Even if someone has to take that place, even if everyone else forgot about you, and even if you're not walking beside me anymore...you'll always be the best for me."

"..."

No one from both parties said anything after that and allowed silence (and the almost inaudible pitter-patter of water hitting the floor) to take over. Daichi could only imagine the surprised look on Suga's face before the latter would crack a smile because that was all Daichi could do.

It was all he could do now.

"I miss you, Daichi."

More water droplets landed on the floor as the once strong captain finally fell on his knees and allowed his state of vulnerability to take over. The teen wiped off the tears in his eyes but the waterworks continued to flow.

"I miss you too, Suga." Daichi said, perfectly aware that for the entire time he spent inside the gym, he was alone and was talking to the wind.

...

If Sugawara was there, he knew what to do.

...

But he wasn't. Not anymore and not for years to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daichi is a sweet captain who mastered the art of the scary face and he just needs his beloved vice-captain, the angel (actually a sinnamon) Suga :D

These two are my bias. I feel sad having to erase Sugamama's physical presence in the life of Dadchi :( Suga's actually my most fave character~ I leave to you what happened to him here.

The characters might be slightly OOC (well they gotta be even just a little bit considering the genre)

Disclaimer: I do not own this amazing anime.

Still gotta watch the latest episode (GO TSUKKI!). Anyway, thanks for reading! Look forward to the next scenario!