Chapter one

He heard it again that night. It was midnight and way past his bed time. He had been asleep, but the sound of a piercing scream woke him up, like it had done so many nights before. He never knew whose scream it was, but he knew where it came from.

The barn. His father’s barn.

He’s never been inside, doesn’t even know what it looks like. Every time he would ask, his father would have smiled and told him to never go in there. It wasn’t for children. That night had been the first night he had actually heard the screams. He had left his window open.

This time, he decided he would look for the one screaming in so much pain. He couldn’t bear it. So he got out of his little bed and his small little feet made contact with the cold, hard floor, making him hiss because of the cold. His feet is sensetive. Nonetheless, he took small steps towards the door, his small hand taking a hold on and turned the door knob and carefully opened the door, to make as little noise as possible. He wouldn’t want to wake up his father.

He tip toed downstairs and towards the hall to put on his black sneakers. Theyre used and old, but still good and warm. He took his black bubblejacket on because it's probably cold outside. If it’s as cold as it is in the day in the winter, it’s even colder at night. 

He quietly opened the door and sneaked outside, closing the door carefully behind him. In that moment, another scream filled the air, making him jump and his heart beat to increase. He has never liked to see anyone in pain and this scream was just full of it. He turned towards the barn, his hands shaking a bit as he breathed out a shaky, frosty breath. He had no idea why, but he was scared. Someone was obviously hurting that person in his father's barn. What if he or she would hurt him too? Should he just go back inside and pretend he never heard anything?

Another scream decided for him, and he practically ran towards the barn. His little feet made no sound in the little snow that was covering the ground, but his footsteps were obvious. That was the part he didn’t like.

His hands were shaking as he reached for the barn door and slided it open, slowly. He had to blink sometimes, because inside there was light. Strong light compared to the dark, dark night outside. He carefully stepped inside, sliding the door closed behind him. He looked around. Nothing. But it was here the scream came from, he was sure of it.

There was a lot of weapons, he saw. Guns, knives, daggers and other things he did not know what was, but had a strong feeling could end his life. Why was these things in his father’s barn? His father was an artist, he did not need these things.

And again, the scream returned, higher now that he was so close. Beneath. It came from beneath him. But there was no door, no stairs. Nothi- wait. There was a line in the floor. A completed circle. A door in the floor. That’s his way down. He walked towards it and sat down on his knees. He took a hold of the knob on the door and pulled. The door was heavy and he almost didn’t make it, but then it slowly moved upwards and soon it was open and his arms ached. His little arms weren’t made to lift such heavy things.

It was dark down there. Stairs leading the way down into the darkness and he just wanted to run away and hide in his bed. It was like something down there was watching him, just waiting for a chance to slit his throat.

He walked down the stairs, nonetheless. He was shaking as he needed to feel where he was going to put his feet when he went down. He didn’t see a thing. He just walked around blindly in the darkness. After what seemed like hours, he saw a light. He walked towards it and it turned out to be a door with a light over it. He slowly reached out for the door knob and he turned it, opening the door slowly and he peeked inside first.