10. The cold shoulder

Salaam, Thank you all for reading this and for your comments and votes. I just edited a bit of chapter 8 to clear up the fact that Zara has gone to New york for a holiday to enjoy new years day and in this chapter, she's back! Please don't forget to comment and vote. Thank you all!!!xx

'Please fasten your seatbelts as we prepare to land...' The mumbled announcement woke me from my ruffled sleep. We had finally landed after a ten-hour flight. We were back in London; for me, back to silence and misery. Outside, rain was pouring down. This was one aspect of New York I loved: It didn't rain 24/7 like London. No, a few hours ago, I had been watching snowflakes floating down adding to the already white grounds. The city was, nevertheless, illuminated with life and lights. People actually danced in the snow, made snowmen in central park and had snowball fights with anyone and everyone. In London, white Christmas was becoming rare.  And new years day in New York was beyond amazing! Fireworks of all sorts lit up the black just and it felt like a dream, a wonderful vibrant dream. I missed it and next year, I'd come again inshallah.

'Great! Exactly what we needed.' Linda exclaimed staring outside the wet window. I nodded sadly. Luckily, Linda's husband was picking us up and dropping us off, so I wasn't going to be a victim of public transport today. He was taking ages coming. So, we were sat in Costas drinking our hot drinks and some bakery, dreading to go back to reality and work, the noise and marking.

I got out my phone and started to check the numerous messages and voicemail.  It was mainly from Yusuf and about 3 from Zaid. I ignored them and focused on Yusuf's. There were so many from him, which was unusual as he was so caught up with completing his PHD.

 'You might have a bhabhi (sister-in-law) soon...xx'

What! I went back and pressed on the message again. I scrolled down the rest of the messages. Yusuf, my brother who I thought would never get married, had finally found someone. I called him half a dozen times but it went straight to voicemail. So a text would have to do for now.

'What are you grinning about? It's practically drowning outside.' Kylie said.

'My brother is finally engaged!' I screeched in happiness.

 Her name was Hanna and she went to the same university as Yusuf. That was all I knew of my future sister-in-law. I didn't know how I felt: happy for my brother, of course. But myself? My freedom was a few months away now. I mean,  I knew how I wanted to feel but I didn't exactly feel it.  I didn't feel relieved but not sad either. Somewhere in the middle. Confused would probably be the best word. My dua (wish/supplication)  was becoming a reality faster than I had expected.

As soon as I arrived home, I opened my damp coat, abaya and my headscarf. I let my hair loose, I had stupidly tied my hair way too tight and my head was hurting and my confusion was adding to it. I brushed out my long tangled brown hair. That's the part of long journeys I hated, the scruffiness and untidiness. I slumped myself wide on the bed and just stared at the ceiling. What if I was wrong about Zaid? But I couldn't there was no doubt, the expression on his face...argh I  groaned loudly.

'You're back.' The sudden words made me jump. Was he home? 6 in the evening! I would never have guessed.  I turned to face a blank Zaid standing by the door frame, his muscular arms folded. A tight black shirt showed off his physique. I gulped. Someone's been spending a lot of time in the gym. Within the two weeks away from him, I had forgotten how drop dead gorgeous he was. Weirdly, I even missed him...slightly and I felt so stupid for feeling like that.

'Asalaamualikum. Yes, I am.' I faintly smiled. His hazelnut eyes held no emotions which reminded me of his secret. 'And I need a shower.'

I stood up and grabbing my shower things, I walked into the en suite closing the door behind me. I wanted a quick shower. I missed the Jacuzzi Kylie and Linda and I had spent ages sitting in. Since drinking was against my faith, I drank delicious non-alcoholic mocktails while they enjoyed their bubbly champagne and got drunk. It had been busy with all the exploring but strangely relaxing. We'd danced around the hotel room going crazy and acting like silly teenagers. But the best thing was shopping, well window shopping since all the famous upper east side shops had ridiculous prices tags on them that my modest wage could hardly afford. My mind had been preoccupied with other things than my relationship issues and I was someone else for a while. But during the night, everything horribly came back to me and the stupid image remained stuck in my head, like a stupid memoir reminding me of my stupidity.