Chapter two

As the memories of waking up in a hospital came back as a regained consciousness in what I guessed to be a few hours later, I opened my eyes and tried to sit up. My attempts were unsuccessful, my arms felt weak, like I didn’t have the muscle power to do such a simple task.

I once again took in my surroundings and then the smell hit me. That smell that is there, but you can’t classify as an odour, hospital smell.

I looked around my room once again, and noticed that this time the door was left open. I saw a cute little kid run by, chased by an older child that I would assume to be her older brother. They looked to be about 5 and 7. Then I heard a voice call out for them to stop and saw a security guard run by the door as well. I laughed a little to myself but stopped when my throat felt course and pushed it off as I figured it was because of the screaming I had done earlier.

I wanted to know why I was in the hospital, so I had hoped that someone would come in to tell me what I was here for some time soon. I shifted my arm slightly, and even that took more effort than I thought it should have. I felt my hand hit something hard and cold and saw that it was a nurse button. I mustered up all of the energy I could to press the button. Not a minute later a nurse tentatively pokes her head in the room, seeming unsure of whether I actually wanted her in here.

I don’t really blame her for being careful; I did realize that I was acting like a crazy person earlier.

“May I help you ma’am?” the nurse asked quietly, stepping into the room slowly, probably trying not to upset me.

“Yeah,” my voice sounded scratchy, and it hurt to say that small word so I hurriedly decided I needed water. “Can I please get some water first?” I forced the words out, which brought tears to my eyes.

“Of course ma’am, I will be right back.” With that, she left the room.

Moments later she brought in a small plastic cup with a straw and held it out in front of me. As much as I wanted to hold it myself, I felt like I had no energy and gave in. I drank the water down quickly, but still I wasn’t satisfied. I asked for more and she quickly grabbed more which I greedily chugged down.

Finally my throat’s scratchiness was bearable. I looked at her and noticed she was the nurse that had been in here when I had panicked.

“All better now, ma’am?” she asked me, I just nodded my head. “Is there anything else you would like?”

“Answers would be great,” I told her, but watched as her face fell.

“I’m sorry ma’am, but I’m not at liberty to discuss what happened. Would you like anything other than that?” I shook my head no, and she excused herself.

That left me confused, more confused than I had been before. Why was I here? I tried to remember, but the only things that I could bring to mind were the events before being put to sleep. Anything other than that drew a complete blank.

I started to get panicky again, I tried harder and harder to remember the simple things, like what year it was, how old I was, and even my name, but try as I did, and nothing came to memory. With urgency, I pressed the nurse button repeatedly and the same nurse came in quickly.

“What’s wrong ma’am?” she asked worriedly, noticing the tears that silently crept down my face.

I looked at her, and took a moment to gather my nerves. I swallowed the lump in my throat and asked, “Who am I?”