Chapter 2- A second chance

Kyla’s P.O.V.

“MINE”

As the words left his mouth I was suddenly brought out of my daze. My brain which had refused to work for the last few minutes while I was busy ogling him, started working slowly. ‘Mine’; that meant I was this green eyed man’s mate. This green eyed, extremely perfect looking man, sitting beside the king himself, was my mate.

OH SHIT…… What just happened???

I dimly registered the gasps that came out of the crowd when he spoke. But my eyes were still trained on the man. He abruptly got up from his throne, making the entire room go into silence. He took big purposeful steps towards me and stopped about a meter away from me. His heat and masculine scent engulfed me, making my breathing hike and my heart beat at a faster pace. He stooped low, so that his face came near my hair and sniffed. When he stood up straight, a look of surprise crossed his face and he said to me, “You’re my mate”.

His hands moved towards me, as though involuntarily, to bring me closer. Then I heard a sizzling sound and he immediately drew back his hands. The silver chains must have touched him. He looked down at the chains that were clasped to both my hands and legs as though he was noticing them for the first time. A look of pure anger crossed his face and lethal power seemed to emanate from him. Everyone in the room cowered with fear as they felt his anger. Me? , I found it alluring. His facial features turned sharper as he clenched his jaws, as though to suppress himself from ripping someone apart, his eyes had turned into narrow emerald slits. He turned his head towards the guard beside me and I saw the guard literally shake in his shoes.

“Release her. NOW”, he said through stiff lips. The last part was said in a little louder voice and made the guard jump. He started fumbling for the keys in his pockets.

My eyes were still trained towards my mate. Somehow, everything he did was fascinating to me. I blamed my wolf for that. She seemed to be howling non-stop in my head and doing little jigs of happiness. The guard was taking a lot of time to find the keys and finally he dropped them when he had them in his shaking hands. A loud growl came out of my mate. He took the chain clasped to my right hand and ripped it apart. I saw the queen stand up from her throne; a look of concern crossed her face as she shouted, “Nikos”. He did not turn.  He did not care that the silver burnt his hands nor that the chain was still clasped to my hand and could only be released with a key. His actions were out of anger and he was inflicting pain on himself instead of attacking the guards beside me.

 At long last, the guards managed to remove the clasp on my hands and legs. My wolf breathed a sigh of relief as she felt the silver move away from my skin. There were deep burn marks on my wrists and ankles. The chains were put on me the day I was captured. It was a miracle that my bones couldn’t be seen with the way the silver had been burning my skin.

My mate gripped my arm and started pulling me towards a door at the side of the thrones. I immediately felt sparks of electricity shoot through me at the place he touched. A few people stood up from their seats but no one dared to open their mouths to stop him.

A few confusing thoughts crossed my mind: Why is that nobody stopped him from taking me out of my own trial? Why did no one object when he walked towards me and ordered the guards to release me? How did he have so much power that not just the guards, but also all the people the hall seemed to cower in fear at his anger?

The queen had called him Nikos and she had a look of concern on her face when he touched the silver chains. I suddenly realized who my mate was. He was a member of the royal family. And not just any member, judging from his seat beside the king himself, he was The Prince himself, the next heir to the throne. By the time my mind could grasp the magnitude of all this news, the prince had dragged me past two corridors and we were now climbing a huge flight of stairs.