Olivia opened the box but couldn’t see the ring through the tears that clouded her eyes. She just squeezed tightly onto Marshall’s hand and he rested his head back before falling back asleep.

                Olivia’s thoughts were interrupted by Kenley grabbing her hand.

“You doin’ a’right?” Kenley asked.

“I’m okay,” she feigned a smile.

                The drive seemed shorter than Olivia imagined. Marshall had requested a graveside funeral in his will and Olivia remembered him saying that there was no reason to visit the funeral home and then make a drive for the burial. Olivia climbed out of the back of her mother’s car and started walking towards the rest of their family and friends who had come to say their goodbyes. She walked past a lot of “Oh honey, I’m so sorry for your loss,” and “your Daddy is safe with the Lord now,” before walking up to her father’s closed casket and she brushed her hand lightly along the smooth oak and took her seat. The preacher had said a few bible verses and people all around Olivia sobbed. She squeezed her mother’s hand and Liz laid her head on Olivia’s shoulder.

                A couple of Marshall’s co-workers had some kind words regarding the man that Marshall was and even a few of his old clients had come to give their condolences. Olivia nor Liz had it in them to stand in front of everyone talking about what kind of man Marshall used to be, before cancer came in and destroyed everything. The pain was still too fresh.

                Everyone had started filing out from underneath the tent, giving Liz and Olivia time alone with Marshall to say their final goodbyes. Olivia couldn’t bare to listen as her mother spoke to Marshall so she stood outside of the tent, awaiting for her turn to come. She wiped away at tears that had fallen and sat on the grassy knoll looking at her surroundings. This would be her father’s new home; or rather, his resting place. The grass was neatly landscaped and there were beautiful headstones all around. There was shade in every direction being casted from budding cherry blossom trees.

She looked up over a couple of bushes and saw Nick standing from a distance. He told her he was going to come and wouldn’t take no for an answer and she was surprised to see that he was actually there. She was relieved to see him. She had stood to go over and hug him tightly, regardless of who seen or not, but as she stood, her mother had exited the tent.

“Go ahead, Olivia,” Liz said. Her face was puffy and red and her eyes were swollen. Olivia was suddenly afraid of what she’d say to her father.

                She walked back into the tent and pulled a chair up next to the casket.

“Hey Daddy,” was all she managed to say before she felt the tears stinging her eyes.

“You know, I—the night that you were taken from us, I felt panicked. You had been unresponsive for days and then finally. . . I screamed, I fell to my knees and begged God to please not do this to us. But it was too late. I guess it’s true what they say, you have to enjoy the people you have while you have them because sooner or later, God is gonna need them back. I’d give my soul for you to be here, Daddy. I kept somethin’ a secret from you; somethin’ I should have told you. I’m in love. I met the most amazing man and who knows? Maybe he’s the one. But . . . you’ll never get a chance to know him.”

                “He’s my Journalism teacher, Daddy. I know what you’re thinkin’. It’s not as terrible as it sounds. He’s been so wonderful towards me and you’d be proud of me for pickin’ someone so amazing.”

                Olivia wiped her face with the back of her hand.

“I won’t see your proud, smiling face at graduation, I won’t be able to wrap my arm around yours as you’re walkin’ me down the aisle,” Olivia let her tears fall into her lap, “you’ll never get to hold your grandbabies. But, I’m still gonna make you proud, Daddy. I won’t let you down. I’ll never forget you, I’ll never stop thinking about you or missing you. You will always be right here in my heart. I’ve got the very best guardian angel lookin’ out for me now. I know you’re up there with grandmomma right now, catchin’ up. That makes me happy. You’ve missed her for so long and now you’re with her and you’re both lookin’ down on us. You’re not in pain anymore, Daddy, and that means the world to me. You have shaped me into who I am today. You’ve made me someone that I am so proud to be and I love you and I’ll miss you with every step I take.”

                Olivia stood with weak knees and kissed the closed casket. Olivia knew this was it. Although the sadness had consumed every ounce of her being, she felt peace too, knowing he would always be around in spirit. She lay a perfect red rose on top of the oak wood amidst the others before finally walking away.

“I love you so much Daddy,” she whispered through her tears as she was leaving.