Forget The Horror Here: Chapter 22- Black Ice of Death

Start from the beginning

"I made them stop so I could get you a surprise, which you'll get after dinner." Shane told her, earning a groan. We all sat down and helped ourselves to the meal after praying. The men told us about their hunting experience and how Rick tripped over a fallen tree while they were running after a deer.

"Dad, you're such a klutz!" Carl laughed before shoveling another heap of spaghetti into his mouth.

"I'm not! That log was just well hidden by the snow!" Rick defended, smiling at his boy. Everyone finished eating and cleaned off the table.

"Wait," Lori stopped wiping the table. "did we shut the gate on our way in?"

"I don't know but I can go check." I told her. I left the kitchen to go slip on my boots. I looked up from tying my shoes to see Daryl leaning against the front door.

"I'll go out with you." He opened the door and let me exit first. We stepped out into the cold snowy air and I immediately regretted not grabbing my coat. I contained my shivers as we walked down the long gravel driveway to the gate that we had, indeed, left oven. As I latched the gate, Daryl's arms slipped around my waist. I turned to face him, his arms still around me. The moon casted shadows on his face and my stomach flipped as he leaned in and placed his lips on mine. I was only slightly surprised by his actions. It's not like I wouldn't have initiated it if he hadn't. I kissed him back, obviously. Everything was quiet, peaceful, and right. The only problem was I was getting colder every second that passed. And I was pretty sure he noticed because I was starting to physically shiver. He smiled into the kiss and I laughed a little. "Come on. Let's get you inside before you get frost bite." He held me close as we walked back inside. I kicked off my snowy boots, sat down in the recliner in the corner and Daryl sat on the arm of the chair. He reached down and held my hand. I smiled up at him, happy that he was getting more comfortable at showing his feelings towards me in front of the rest of the group.

"Now that everyone's here," Shane said, standing. "I have something to say." He cleared his throat and turned to Andrea.  "Andrea, ever since we were broke down on that goddamn highway, I saw you as the most perfect woman I have ever seen. You made me see that there is something worth living for and worth loving. We bonded more and more and it turned into something real. And now, well, you're gonna be the mother to my first child." Andrea wiped her eyes and looked back at Shane, who was now kneeling in front of her. "I want you to be more than that." He reached in his pocket and held a ring between his fingers. "Will you marry me?" Her hands flew up to her mouth and she bursted into tears.

"Yes! Yes!" she cried. Everyone cheered as they embraced and he slipped the ring on her finger. I looked up at Daryl. His expression was weird. He had a sad excuse for a smile on his face and looked timid almost. Lori and Carol put the kids to bed and the adults joined in the kitchen for a drink. I casually dismissed myself from the group and headed upstairs. I still tried to stay away from alcohol. I grabbed a towel out of Daryl and I's room and was about to head downstairs for a shower when I was stopped by Daryl.

"Hey." I said, adjusting the towel in my arms.

"Where are you going?" He asked, wrapping his long arms around my waist.

"Just going to take a shower." My eyes flickered closed as he kissed my jaw. One arm continued to hold my towel, the other finding its way around his neck. His kisses trailed down my neck and under my ear. He smirked into my neck as a faint moan left my lips. I blushed, embarrassed at myself. He moved so his lips hovered only a centimeter in front of mine. I stretched and closed the space between our mouths. Each kiss was long and soft, but they gradually got shorter and needier. His fingers trailed up under my shirt and wandered over one of my bra-clad breasts.

"Can I join you?" he mumbles into another kiss. He gently kneads my breast, knowing how to get my going. My face grows hot and breath hitches. He grins at my response.

"I thought you didn't like water that much." I smirk as I stare into his blue eyes.

"I can make an exception." He breathed. His hot breath on my lips sent a shiver down my whole body.

"Not this time." I whisper. "I actually need a shower." I mischievously slip around him into the hall and back down the stairs. I knew me leaving him there only made him want me more, and that's why I did it.

"Next time." He purrs.

***

-Daryl's POV-

            I leaned against the kitchen's island, gripping the cup of water in my hand. I was far from tired and felt a little sick. It was her. I knew it was. She was the reason I felt like this. Around her I was scared, nervous, and weak, but still brave, confident, and strong. God, I sounded like a fucking idiot.

            'Am I in...?' I couldn't get myself to finish the thought. I denied the chance that I could be.

            "Hey." I turned my head to see Shane.

            "Oh. Hey." I returned. "Congrats by the way."

            "Thanks." Shane leaned on the countertop across from me. "So... Have you thought about it?" He asked.

            "Yeah, I have. I just... I don't know about this. I don't know how she would react." I rubbed my forehead.

            "You won't know how she will until you do it." He said. "Look. I'm not trying to force you into something you're not sure about." He lowered his voice. "But she does something to you, brother. I can see it." I barely nodded, agreeing with him. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a small, square box. He slid it across the granite. "You guys fight like a married couple. Why not just be one." He left the room, leaving me with the box. I picked up the velvety square and ran my thumb over the front, hesitating to open it. I looked inside and quickly shut it again. It was there. I opened it up again and stared at the dainty ring. It was small like her hands and simple yet beautiful like her. Maybe I was ready to not hide my feelings anymore. But on the other hand I was scared; scared she would say no, or tell me how ridiculous I was for even thinking she would accept. But for some reason a little voice in my head was telling me she would say yes...

~AN~ *laughs* babies. Peace out, walkers!