Chapter 4

"Moni?"

"Yes mijo?" I smiled.

"How did you and Uncle Smokey meet?"

His puppy eyes stared up at me, I gulped knowing Smokey was a touchy subject but I brushed it off.

"Well Guero,..."

***Flashback***

Chango, Payaso, and I had just moved into our own little house since we were living with my Tia for awhile because we just got to California from Mexico.

The area we lived on was a normal ghetto neighborhood. Most of what I could see, it was filled with our people.

"Aye Smiley!" Chango called.

"Que guey!?" {What stupid!?}

"Go and make some to eat for us, we'll get the rest of the stuff down!"

I put one of the boxes down and hurried inside to look for our pots, pans, and food.

Quickly finding the beans and rice bags, I cleaned them up and started making our lunch.

We had pan and other ingredients to make a sandwich so, I made them some.

"Boys!"

No response.

I huffed and grabbed two Coke's, stuffing them on my armpits then grabbing their plates.

When I walked out to the front, I seen not just Chango and Payaso but two other foos.

"Aye!"

They all turned my way, I raised my eyebrow and nodded at the two strangers who returned it.

"Here."

I gave the boys their food and they gracefully took it, as the boys just continue to watch.

"So who are they?"

I asked, eyeing them back.

Payaso said with a mouthful, "This is Juan, but they call him Dreamer and that's..."

"Jose, but they call me Smokey."

He shook my hand and smiled. I squint my eyes and licked my lips because he seemed odd.

"Hm, pues are you guys hungry?"

Smokey shook his head no but Dreamer was apparently starving.

I chuckled and walked inside with the rest behind me. They took their seats the table but Smokey came into the kitchen.

"Um do you guys have anymore Coke's?"

"Yea mijo, we got Coke, Sprite, we also got beer if quieren."

He chuckled, "Oh no I don't want to set the wrong the impression."

"Don't worry, we should be saying the same thing but andale if you want anything or need anything just let me know."

He smiled and grabbed a soda, but he didn't leave. Instead he stayed and watch me make their food.

"What's your name? Perdon I didn't asked earlier."

"It's okay, my name is Monica but they call me Smiley." I chuckled.

"Really? I see why."

"Why?"

"You got a nice smile, so far you haven't been afraid to show it."

Oh he was smoothed alright, because after that I was blushing with his words.

"Well thank you."

"No problem, I'm just hoping you'll let me do that more often."

"Do what?" Raising my brow.

"Make you smile."

From that day on, that's what he did. He made me smile.