1. My Best Friend's Brother

"He's at it again, huh?"

My friend Raven gives me a curt nod before turning her head towards her brother, who is shamelessly flirting with a young blonde woman with two different colored eyes. A mutant, of course.

Raven turns back to me and rolls her eyes in annoyance.

"He flirts with everything that moves, Blake," she points out, though I already know this. "Good thing you're smart enough to stay away from him."

Oh, Raven. You don't know me nearly as good as you think if you believe that.

I keep that reply to myself because if Raven knew that I was crushing on her brother...well, I honestly have no clue as to how she would react. Maybe she would be surprised, maybe confused, maybe annoyed. Either way, I really do not want to find out.

Raven keeps her gaze fixated on something or someone across the room as I allow myself a few seconds to look at her brother, who is still flirting away.

Charles Xavier is possibly the most gorgeous being I have ever laid eyes on. His brilliant bright blue eyes never fail to grab my attention, and his smile just makes my heart melt into a puddle. I can hear him speaking to that blonde woman in his marvelous British accent, even at this distance, from across the room.

"Blake!" Raven's scolding voice snaps me out of my trance, and I look away from Charles and back to Raven questioningly, my eyebrows raised.

The girl sitting next to me quirks an eyebrow in amusement. "You're blushing," she comments, a small smile playing on her face. Of course she would be amused by this; she has never seen me blush before.

"Oh," I murmur, lifting my hand to my cheek and feeling how warm my cheeks got whilst I was gazing at Charles.

"Are you feeling alright?" Raven asks, her eyebrows knitting together in confusion. I nod quickly, probably too quickly, as I move my hand away from my cheek.

"Yeah," I say. "Just...feeling warm all of a sudden." Raven gives me a confused glance as she hugs her jacket against her tighter.

"Really?" She asks in disbelief. "I'm kind of cold." I push my chair out and get up suddenly, taking my coat from off of the back of my chair.

"You know, I have to get up really early," I explain, the many years of my professional lying finally paying off. "Plus, you should probably take Charles home. He's got that thesis tomorrow."

"Okay," Raven says, pretending to ignore the fact that I am getting all sputtery all of a sudden. Thank god she does not call me out on it, because I don't know what I would do if she did. "I'll give you a call sometime, yeah?"

"Yeah," I reply, flashing her a little smile and looking at Charles once more before leaving the Eagle, the small pub that I find myself going to at least one night a week. I always feel out of place in there; I only go to hang out with Raven and see Charles.

After leaving that place, I go straight home. Well, actually it's not my home, it's my Aunt Grace's. Shockingly, she has let me stay her for the past year and a half, in her little house here in England.

Most of the houses here—at least around ours— are like castles, so I suppose that Grace's house really is not that small in comparison to normal houses.

Like usual, I take the short walk home only to be met with an empty house. For the past few nights, Grace has been sleeping over at one of her close friend's house, for reasons that are unknown to me. She told me something about her friend being sick and that she did not want to be left alone during this time.