Chapter 19: Return

Lou was still in her dragon form when she made her way back to the castle. She decided to fly back through the window that she broke so she wouldn't make a bigger mess than she did.

She landed gently on the ground. Ceri, Valda, and a crew of scared knights watched her. Lou looked to the king's mangled body on the ground.

"Princess, I'm sorry, he was taken over by the Eighth and," Lou held back the rest of her sentence.

Ceri shook her head. "No, it's fine." She walked towards the bloodied body of her father. "He had not been himself for years. This was... a fitting end."

The princess called over knights to dispose of the body. Valda pulled Cael off the ground and onto her shoulder. She walked over to Lou.

"And you want him?"

Lou looked at him, sleeping quietly and as serenely as he can. Her chest felt warm. "Take him to a guest room for now."

Lou shivered. "Is that broken window causing a draft?"

Ceri giggled. "No, Lou, you're just... Not a dragon anymore."

Lou looked down. "I apologize, Princess. Do you have something I could wear until I get my horse and bag back?"

Ceri led Lou back to her room. She got dressed and went to see Cael. Valda had found some spare nightclothes for him until he woke. The servants in the castle were washing both of their armor as she spoke.

That evening was quiet in the castle. The king had died, but none of the royal family seemed to upset by it. Cael was revealed as the true heir of the kingdom, and was to be trained in his duties as soon as he was able. Once King Beauregard's deeds were revealed, both Lou and Cael were granted Lord and Lady titles as compensation.

They did little to help.

After Cael had readjusted, he and Lou decided to take a carriage back to Verrville. It took three days, and felt like a dream the whole time. The familiar places, the camps they made, the places where Cookie had walked with them.

Cookie was saddled to the front of the carriage, walking next to a royal horse. She looked extremely out of place.

Cael had a black eye, and he said his arm was sore, so Lou got him a cast. Lou wasn't much better, but she was covered in bruises and her shoulder blades hurt more than they ever would.

They made it to Verrville without much of a hitch after that. Lou pointed out all the places she spent her time as they rode by. The training ground, the horse stables, the blacksmith, and some of her old hiding spots.

Verrville Manor loomed in the distance. Citizens of the city waved at Lou, and she encouraged Cael to wave back. He looked too nervous, but Lou congratulated him on his good work.

Finally, Lou made it home. She helped Cael out of the carriage and walked him to the doors. She opened them, and invited him inside. By the door was the old water boy she met right before she left. Lou smiled.

"Tell my mother I've returned." Lou said.

The water boy nodded frantically. He ran off, and within a minute, Gwendalyn Verrmien was in front of them smiling and grinning like a fool. She held her arms out wide and Lou ran into them. Her mother smelled like vanilla. Lou never wanted to leave her mother's hold.

Cael stood awkwardly behind the two. Gwendalyn smiled softly and had him join the two of them.

After a moment of content safety, Lou broke the hug.

"Mother, this is Cael Abegg. A good friend of mine." Lou said.

"Just a good friend? My my, knight, it's not like you saved my life at least three times over this adventure." Cael responded. His old self was finally coming back to him.

A series of thuds sounded down through the Verrmien halls. Christian Verrmien rushed down the hall with a letter in his hand.

"Gwen! Gwen!" He said, clearly out of breath. "Louanne got a title, she..."

He set his eyes on Lou and regained his old composure. "She got her title. She's a lady by herself now."

Gwendalyn looked at Lou. "You got a title?"

Lou grinned. She turned to her father. "Father, this is Cael Abegg."

Christian raised his brows. "You're the king to be?"

Cael laughed. "Hardly. I don't know anything about ruling anything."

Christian leaned close to him. "You are in need of teaching?"

"Yes, sire." Cael leaned back.

Christian crossed him arms. "Then you stay here until you are prepared. Your younger sister can handle the throne for a while, correct?"

"I..." Cael looked to Lou. She nodded. "I suppose, I could. It would be interesting."

Gwendalyn laughed. "It would be indeed."

Lou sighed. Cael was going to be taught by her father, namely her mother, and Lou was going to keep going on knight missions until she retired happily.

It sounded just like one of the happy ends to her old knight's tales.

"The end," Lou whispered to herself.