Chapter 13: Recovery

When Lou woke up, her face felt wet. Tears stained the bed below her. She looked up to see Cael had left. He sat in a corner of the cavern, reading quietly. Lou stood up and padded quietly over to him.

Cael watched her the whole way. He sat, unblinking, as the knight sat down next to him and stared at the ceiling. She put a hand on his shoulder and tried to be as reassuring as possible.

"Listen, Cael, I-"

"We have to go to that college." Cael said. He stared at the book in front of him with spiraling towers and small dragons floating around it.

"Are you sure?" Lou said. "If it's too much trouble, I can go home and we can forget all of this ever happened."

Cael put the book on the ground. He shook his head ever so slowly. "We have to. Didn't you hear that stupid dragon?" His voice broke. "We have to."

Lou puffed out a laugh. "She's not stupid, she's the epitome of wisdom." She rolled her head back and rested it on the wall behind her. "I understand. When do you want to go?"

"As soon as possible. I want to get this whole mess over with." Cael said. He clenched his fists.

"Do you know the way?"

"Yes. It's in this book. The damn stupid Sixth left it on your head when I woke up."

"That's rude," Lou said. She tried and tried to lighten the mood.

"Yeah." Cael said. He kept his sentences short and tense. He seemed to out of it, not the cool, calm, and collected version of himself Lou had learned to care for.

"You're going to be my guide again?" Lou said softly.

"I guess. Although, it seems like this is more for my benefit than yours." Cael said. He laughed slightly.

Lou let out a sigh. Cael gave her a shocked look, which Lou promptly waved off. "Sorry, you were just very tense."

"No, I wasn't." Cael said.

"Yes, you were."

"No."

"Yes."

"Shut up, let's just go." Cael said and paced out of the cave. The sun had set hours ago, there was no doubt about that, but the two of them didn't even care. Cookie looked as shocked as a horse could be. She ran up to Lou and nibbled on her ear. Lou stroked her mane and cooed.

"Yes, Cookie dear, I'm sorry. It was scary, being alone, wasn't it." Lou purred. "I know, I'm here now."

Cael stood still next to her. Lou turned to him and opened her arms. Cael's face broke. He ran towards her and hugged her tight. He sniffed and kept back tears while Lou stroked his hair. His braid was loose and almost unraveled.

"Look, your braid is all undone. I'll have to fix it, won't I?" Lou said quietly.

Cael nodded and sniffed again. A tear tore it's way out of the thief's eye and down his cheek. The two sat down in the midst of the forest while Lou undid and redid his braid.

Cael's hair was nasty and greasy. His oily skin rubbed against Lou's hand and left a smear of oil on it. Lou breathed out soothing words to her friend while she redid his braid. She finished by tying a small string around the end and let the braid fall next to his face.

"Better?" Lou said.

"I guess." Cael breathed. His voice was hoarse and scratchy while he spoke.

Lou looked down to the ground. "It reminds you of your mother, doesn't it. That's why you keep it."

Cael sucked in a deep breath. He nodded and stood up. He looked off into the distance and sighed. "Yeah."