Chapter 11: Dragon Rulers

They ran into the inn too close to morning and got a room big enough for two. Lou was asleep by the time her head hit the pillow. She assumed Cael stayed up a bit later.

Lou woke groggy and uncomfortable, but she got dressed without much event. Cael wasn't around, probably wandering the town or something. Lou wasn't worried.

She left the inn and wandered around town, looking for Cael and looking for something to do.She saw the little girl she saw yesterday, smiled, and began walking towards her. Maybe some encouragement from an older knight would help her out some.

She was mere feet away when her arm is grabbed.

Lou turned, ready to punch this person, but she stopped when she saw the face.

"Cael."

He grinned. He let go of Lou's arm and pointed at the kid. She was, once again, fake sword fighting. Her opponent was a tree with a wanted posted on it. Lou peered over and noticed it looked remarkably like a certain someone.

"Cael," Lou mused, turning to him. "Is that you?"

"I've told you I'm a thief hundreds of times." Cael responded. "I don't know what you expected"

Lou leaned to her right. "Maybe more dignity? Grace? Not getting caught?"

"I was never caught," Cael retorted, "they just saw me while I ran."

"Yes, of course." Lou said with a smile. "Now, should we finish what we came here to do?"

Cael made a faint noise of recognition. When Lou moved around, looking for some regal-looking place, Cael stopped moving. Lou turned to him, smiling absently, but before she could react, Cael's face had fallen.

He grabbed Lou's wrist, hard. He dragged her around town until they reached a longhouse with a great arching door. It looked like the mouth of a dragon, and was understandably intimidating to enter. Cael looked unnerved, and Lou didn't really want him to go somewhere he was uncomfortable.

"What's going on? Cael?" Lou asked.

"Nothing, don't worry about it." He turned to her and gave her a large, fake smile.

The knight trusted him, as much as it hurt to say she trusted a thief, and followed him inside the building.

Right off the bat, something seemed wrong. They heard a voice from behind them and turned to see the girl from earlier.On closer inspection, Lou could see golden eyes and pale hair that flew around her face as she came rushing towards them, laughing and screaming. Lou had dealt with children before, with all the cousins she had, (Including that despicable Hansen,) so she immediately bent down to the child's eye level.

"Hello, little one!" She smiled, flashing her teeth and holding her hand out to the kid. She recognized her immediately

"Hello! My name is Minerva!" The little kid said. She was adorable, in her little dress and boots and a ponytail bouncing behind her. "I'm a princess-knight!"

Lou opened her mouth wide, and gasped loudly. "Wow! Really? I'm a knight too! And this is my friend, Cael. He's like an assassin," she said, motioning to her friend.

Minerva put her hands on her cheeks and gasped loudly. "Is he gonna try and assinate my daddy?"

"Of course not,

"Who's your daddy, little one?" Cael asked. He had his arms crossed and almost looked like he was glaring at the little girl.

"My daddy is Lord Gerome!" She said, raising her hand high. "That's why I'm a princess!"