5: Fate Not Coincidence

Start from the beginning

"Really Daddy? Then I can give my Teddy to uncle, to keep him company in this scary place. Here Chachu," Megha deposited the bear on Shantanu's chest.

"But won't you miss him Megha?"

"No Chachu. Dad and mom will be there with me;" she said smiling adoringly at Akshay. "Teddy will take care of you. He's a brave bear."

Her uncle reluctantly nodded his thanks and examined the bear. Teddy looked much loved. He was missing his right eye and his fur that had once been snow white was now a dull shade of grey. But he had done well in his inanimate life by helping drive away a little girl's fears.

"Hello visiting time is over for now!"

Shantanu looked up to see a matronly appearing plump nurse enter his room pushing a cart with some paraphernalia in it.

"Hokay brother!" Akshay stood up. "Will see you tomorrow then. Megha, say bye to Chachu and tell him to get well soon. By the way Mom and Dad will be around tomorrow."

"Get well soon Chachu! See you later and if you see my Doctor Aunty be sure to give her a kiss for me. Bye Teddy!"

"Bye Megha. Thanks for coming. I will be home soon." Shaan then mused as they walked out; I wonder what your Doctor Aunty looks like.

***

"I am your new nurse from today; my name is Mrs. D' souza!"

"Oh Hello Nurse D'Souza, I am Shantanu Khandelwal. It's very nice to meet you but where is Nurse Chandni?"

"She got moved to another floor. Okay let me take a look at you;" Nurse D'Souza scrutinized him closely with her beady eyes as if she was examining a fascinating insect under a microscope.

Shaan tried to meet her stare but couldn't. He felt himself blushing as he was not used to being at the receiving end of a feminine stare especially of someone old enough to be his mother or even grandmother. Nurse D'souza was among the lucky few women who stopped aging after forty-five.

His plump new nurse nodded; "Dr. Agarwal was right. Only 40 plus."

Shantanu frowned, "40 plus? What's that?"

"Itne gore chikne, bilkul Titanic ke hero ke samaan (You are so dashing just like Titanic's hero), I wouldn't blame any girl for not doing her job. Poor Nurse Chandni. How I wish I was young too!"

"You mean Dr. Agarwal was responsible for shifting Nurse Chandni?" Shantanu asked irritably. What does she think of herself?

"Well, I think she did right. When Dr. Agarwal orders something she likes it to be carried out and she won't tolerate inefficiency of any kind. Looks like Mr. Dhak Dhak here has been distracting our nurses even while asleep," she smiled broadly as Shaan looked around dearly wishing he could make himself invisible.

"Okay let's get to work! It's time for your bath."

"What? You must be kidding me. A bath?" Shantanu looked at her in horror.

"Well it's a sponge bath. You don't want to get a bad skin infection do you and I also need to change your dressings."

"I..I don't want to do it; besides I am still too weak:" he sank back into the bed and pulled the covers up to his shoulders.

"Who said you have to do it? What am I here for?" a big smile lit up his nurse's face.

"Is it really necessary now; can't we do it tomorrow?" Shaan asked.

"Of course it is and it's our Dr. Agarwal's orders. God help us if we don't do as she says. Now stop dilly dallying and don't be shy. I've seen everything."