055:

055:

"Hm... well, I'll have to come get you myself." She muttered, and went back to her room, and found sandals. She wrapped Abby in a blanket and put her in her new little seat all bundled up, and looking extremely small. Then she wrapped her long silky bathrobe around her and belted it, went out on the balcony which had stairs down to the landing.

"It's not too cold out." She said into the phone.

"I am docking right now. Did you find your dad?"

"He's asleep. I'll have to come and get you myself."

"Are you crazy? You can't be up and around. I'll come up there and see you in the morning." His voice was disappointed, but adamant.

"Absolutely not. You came all the way here, the least I can do is come and get you. Don't worry, I am not over doing. I am fine. I am perfectly capable..." She loaded the car seat into the golf cart and flipped the switch, starting the little engine and turning on the lights. "Anyway, Robert, it's night--- it's our traditional time."

The larger boat that had been trolling down the coast had docked and lights were shining from it that Melia could see easily as she made her way down the little dirt pathway that led to the arena and the camp that during the summer months would house hundreds of students. The undisturbed salt spray, the fishy odor of dock and ocean met her nostrils. In moments she had pulled up to the edge of the main marina.

Robert was walking down the gang plank, having tied his boat off, and turned off the engines and lights. She'd gotten as close as she could to the dock. He was walking quickly, and she could see he was dressed in longer type shorts, and deck shoes without socks, he wore a button down blouse, and his hair and beard were rugged. His eyes though, in the artificial lights were still enigmatic, and not teary. She got out of the driver's seat and waved to him. He ran the few remaining steps and then enfolded her carefully in strong arms, burying his face in her hair.

Robert's arms were hugely muscled, whip cord strength enveloped her as he hugged her fiercely, his entire being infused with the embrace. "I've missed you, Melia. I'm sorry our whole acquaintance has been so fraught with sorrow. But I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there for me those last days with Karen." He was saying this into her shoulder and neck, his tears running into her collar, and she had to look up at the stars to breathe. There had never in all her twenty-one years been a hug like this one. It surprised her immensely as well. He continued to hold her, bent into her like a huge oak into a slim reed. In a way completely unfamiliar to a girl who wasn't demonstrative, the hug went on and on and encompassed all the pain he'd been through and all of hers as well.

"This is all I need. I can sleep now. I just wanted to hold you and tell you that. How much I appreciate you and all you have done for me. You have no idea how nice it was to have someone understand and not judge, or try and make it better or tell me it was all going to be okay. I have family, very well meaning family for that. But you are so honest and so.... So there. I needed that. Thank you."

"Does that mean you are leaving?" She whispered, barely able to talk, so overcome by emotion was she at that moment.

"It's probably not appropriate for me to be at your house with everyone else asleep and your husband not at home." He said gently.

Melia backed up a step, forgetting that she was indeed married, however unreal that event and its ensuing weeks felt. She was amazed that he remembered it, and that he respected it, no one else in Hollywood would even care.

He looked beyond her to the golf cart. "Oh my gosh, you brought Abby!" He dropped her hands and ran to the passenger side, unwrapping the blankets from the top of the little carrier and then peering intently inside. "I can't see her." He said in rising disappointment. "I wanted to hold her."

"You'll have to come up to the house then for sure." Melia went to the passenger's side as well. "You can drive."

Robert gave her a quizzical look and then wobbled his head back and forth to indicate that his intentions had been honorable, but that he would acquiesce to the situation. Melia did feel a little weak as she gingerly got into the passenger side, feeling a slight discomfort as she cramped up. She felt nauseated thinking about it, but didn't say anything. She definitely wanted him to come up, and had been afraid if she didn't go and get him herself, he wouldn't come.

She showed him where to park under the eaves near the kitchen door, and when she would have carried the baby seat and its precious little burden, Robert grabbed it, and her arm, and helped both into the house. In the back entry area was a storeroom and laundry area, Melia asked him to take off his shoes and she took off hers. Then she led him into the kitchen and offered to make him hot chocolate, which he accepted.

"And what will you be having, little lady?" He set the carrier on the counter and came around to Melia's side. She placed the tea kettle on the stove and turned it on, reaching for two mugs; he took them from her easily and set them near the kettle, standing between her and the stove to make it clear he could do this little service himself. He nodded toward the living room. "Go sit down, and I'll serve you, you suddenly got pale."

Melia swallowed in discomfort. "I need to go change." She admitted and left the room.

Once in her own bathroom she quickly changed and cleaned up. Maybe the lifting and walking and riding had been a little much. But the sweet, close reminder of shared moments with Robert had been refreshing in a month of bewilderment and confusion. She stared at herself in the mirror, and was surprised at how pale she actually was, and grimaced like her mother would have to find her out of bed and being so active. Her hair was down, and falling haphazardly below her shoulders, not back to the place where Jared had cut it, but just above that, and certainly longer than his terrible "fix" had been. She smiled, and her eyes lit up, but her skin and lips were very pale. They made her reddish eyebrows stand out. She wore no make-up and was suddenly embarrassed.

There was a knock at the door. "Hey, you okay?" Robert's voice, gently reminding her that he cared about her. "I've got your.... Herbal tea."

She opened the door and was caught staring into eyes that were compassionate and lively at the same time. His quirky grin was mocking, but at her or him, she wasn't sure. She gave him a quirky smile back and took the mug.

They backtracked to the kitchen speaking quietly about the house, and how they'd come by it, and why she had chosen it to come back to. If anyone would understand about Jared and the significance of the house, Robert would, she thought. He asked about her birth experience and she told him in all the fresh and gory details, and they laughed about "too much information", even though he said it was of great interest to him, and that he would listen to it again tomorrow if she wanted to tell it. He thought no woman should ever refrain from telling her birth story since no man could ever be expected to really understand without hearing it at least three or four times. They spoke of the weeks since Karen's death, about his finished projects and about his travels. He'd simply got on his boat a week ago, and started sailing. Doug and Kathy, his brother-in-law and sister were due to go home the next day, that's why they had put in port so close to LA.

"So, why don't you tell me about Ryan? Why isn't he here?" Robert's eyebrows were peaked in differentiated concern.

*****