048:

048:

She got a cab and asked him to take her to the beach house which was really their only home base. It was where the nanny would be after leaving the hotel room. Lights were on and Ryan's car was in the driveway. She got out, feeling all the worse for wear and walked up the short cement pathway, outlined by planters and bushes.

She hesitated before opening that front door. Her sides ached with the way the baby had been turning, her lower back hurt as well. She was somewhat hungry, having not eaten most of the day, and her boobs hurt from needing to nurse Hannah. Yes, she thought mildly, she could call herself rough... she felt rough. What would it be like once she got through that door? Would he be there ready to fight with her? She had surprised him, hadn't she? He'd expected her to be in Montana, still sitting there with her frowny face on, trying to figure out what had happened to them. He didn't really know the girl she'd become with his brother.... Much more confident, much less inhibited, much more able to see the big picture...

She'd been deceived, but she wasn't any longer. It was obvious what he had done, and she could and would rectify the situation. Fortunately, there wasn't anything to split up. She wondered though if he hated her? Did he do it all for revenge? Did he do it because he wanted to hurt her? Why had he gone to such lengths?

Her hand on the front door started to turn the knob when out of the corner of her eye she felt rather than saw movement and she swung around, ready to scream. He was sitting on the hood of his car. Had he been there the whole time? She gasped and her hand rose to her throat.

He slid off the car and came to her. "It's me, Melia. It's Ryan."

"You scared the tar out of me!" She cried and then laughed nervously. "What are you doing out here?"

"Waiting for you, of course, what did you think?" He gently removed her hand from the door, keeping her fingers entwined with his he pulled her toward the sidewalk.

"I have to nurse the baby." She tried to pull away.

"We have to talk." He intoned lightly but firmly and continued pulling her along.

"Ryan! I have certain physiological needs, and one of them is dripping down my front. I have to nurse the baby!" she said and ripped free of him, she wasn't prepared for the way he caught her hair at the back of her neck and pulled her around to face him.

"I said we have to talk." His voice was low and menacing.

"You're crazy, and I won't talk to you while you are acting like this. Let me go!" She wondered if he had forgotten her martial arts training, or if he simply thought she couldn't do it while sporting this big belly. It didn't take her but a moment to jab him with her elbow in the gut, stomp down on his instep with her heel and punch him in the jaw so he'd let her go. There, she thought, angrily, panting as she made it into her living room and locked the door behind her. There, now I've punched both the Patrick Boys.

He was pounding on the door. She was sure he'd wake the neighborhood. The nanny was sitting on the couch, looking scared and disheveled. She grabbed her phone and decided to call the police, but her phone was ringing and it was Jake.

"What's going on? I've got your husband locked out, with judo marks on his face and neck, doubled over and limping. Do I need to get involved here?"

"Tell him to leave. I'm not talking to him tonight." She snarled, holding her hair back and staring at the front door as if those on the other side of it would manage to break it down and harm her. She could hear him yelling.