Chapter 34: Concentrate on Breathing

An hour later, they left the bookstore, each of them weighed down with at least one book and Dawn with a journal. It had a cover with a huge rose on it that had attracted her, and when she saw it she remembered that she'd wanted to start keeping a journal regularly. No time like the beginning of college, right? She'd wanted a nice pen to write in it with, as well, but the store was tiny and didn't have anything of the sort. Maybe the school bookstore would have one.

She was in a really good mood this afternoon. The weather was beautiful, she was out with her friends, Edie had gotten some new clothes and, hopefully, the shot of self-esteem that she could so badly use, and Naomi seemed to have forgotten about the liquor store. Plus, the bookstore had a little coffee shop attached to it, and she'd consumed a delicious tea and a heavenly cinnamon bun while starting a book she hadn't read before by one of her favorite authors: Necklace of Kisses by Francesca Lia Block. Her stomach and brain were both pleasantly full, even if the bag in her hand was heavy.

Corrie yawned as they walked back down the street toward the post office--the bookstore was at the very end of the town's shopping area, with nothing but houses visible beyond it. "I think I'm just about done with this outing. Let's just go to the grocery store and finish up our trip."

"Sounds good to me," said Edie. Dawn nodded agreement and saw Naomi shrug. They grabbed a couple of carts when they reached the grocery store and tossed their bags of books into the baby seats. Dawn shopped efficiently, though she would have done better if she was familiar with the layout of the store. Next time, she thought. She picked up some tea, hoping there were mugs available in the kitchen area of the dorm, a loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly (she and Edie bumped into each other in the peanut butter section, Edie looking for the brand that Corrie had), some bottled juice, and a few cans of soup. Naomi seemed to pick up mostly candy. They got in line and were checked out by the time Corrie and Edie were finished shopping.

She amused herself by making faces over the cashier's shoulder as Corrie and Edie checked out. Edie kept trying to look away from her and stifle her giggles, but Corrie started making faces back. The poor cashier was obviously struggling to keep scanning their items and keep from looking around. When the last thing was in the bag, the cashier straightened up and looked around. Dawn quickly schooled her face into a calm, serious expression. The cashier gave her a suspicious look, but turned back to the register to give Corrie and Edie their receipt and start with the next customer. As soon as they got out of the door, they all burst out laughing.

The laughter only lasted until they were a little ways down the street and closer to Chatoyant. Edie was the first to complain. "Geez, this is heavy," she said. "I wish one of us had a car."

"I do have a car, actually," admitted Corrie. "I just didn't think of it. Guess I didn't realize how heavy these bags would be. Of course, it's probably worst for you because you have the most stuff."

Dawn shifted her grip on her two bags. "It doesn't help that these are plastic bags with stupid thin handles that cut into my hands, either," she grumbled. "At least our dorm is the closest to the entrance. The one benefit of living there, I guess."

"Next time we go shopping I'll drive," Corrie said. "We can get more to drink that way."

When they reached the college gates and started making their way toward the dorm, it was still crowded, but not as crowded as it had been. They walked single file along the path. Dawn ended up leading, so she was the one who saw Lorelei run out of the woods. She looked awful; even from this distance, Dawn could see dark circles under her eyes, and her hair looked plastered to her face with sweat. She started waving when she saw Dawn, then stumbled, pausing as if to catch her breath.

"Whoa, what's with Lorelei?" asked Edie, following Dawn's gaze.

"I don't know," Dawn said, feeling alarmed. Had she been hurt? "I better go see what she wants. She doesn't look good." She jogged over to meet Lorelei, who had moved a few more steps closer to Gilkey. Dawn was uncomfortably aware of Ever's warning about the paths, but wasn't sure she could trust the girl, and anyway, she didn't have much choice. Lorelei was waving at her more urgently.

"Dawn--" said Lorelei when she reached her. Then she started to wheeze and clutch at her throat as though she was choking. Her throat muscles were clearly working, but no sound but harsh breathing came out. Then she started to fall forward. Dawn dropped her bags quickly and grabbed Lorelei's arms.

"Did something happen? What's wrong?" she cried. Lorelei shook her head, sweat popping out of her face and running down her cheeks like tears.

Then the others were beside her. "It's an asthma attack," said Edie quickly. "Lorelei, where's your inhaler?"

Lorelei shook her head, her eyebrows drawing together in confusion. She seemed to gain a little more control over her throat and put her hands on Dawn's shoulders to steady herself. "I don't... have asthma," she gasped out, though she was still wheezing.

Edie's eyebrows shot up. "This is your first attack?" Lorelei nodded. Edie began to chew on the skin around her fingernails. "You need an ambulance!"

"I'll get security," said Corrie. She was off running toward Gilkey and was on the other side of the building where the emergency phone was before Dawn even knew what was happening. While they waited for someone to come back, she and Edie helped Lorelei sit down on the ground so she could concentrate more on breathing. Her breath seemed to be coming more easily now, but Edie said firmly that if she had asthma, something had to be done about it before she had a worse attack.

Corrie ran back moments later. "A security guy is on his way."

Lorelei nodded, then looked up at Dawn. "Dawn, you're the--" She coughed, then choked again. Her breath was even more labored now than it had been before.

"Calm down, Lorelei!" cried Dawn urgently, even knowing that she probably wasn't helping at all. "Just concentrate on breathing."

"Stay on the path and stay out of the way," shouted a voice behind Dawn. She turned to see a security officer, his hat askew on his head, gesturing to the small crowd that had gathered, staring at Lorelei. Apparently satisfied that they would do what he said, he turned and jogged toward them. "Looks like an asthma attack to me," he said, frowning down at Lorelei. She shook her head stubbornly, but he had already turned away and was taking a phone out of his pocket to call an ambulance.

Lorelei's eyes were closed in pain, and she clutched at Dawn's clothes. "You--" She wheezed, trying to get her breathing under control again. "Remember. Remember!"