Chapter 24 - Bad Memories

Start from the beginning

"But still young inside," Emma pokes his chest and giggles at his expression of annoyance.

It makes me feel a little more at home already. Stevie and I tease each other all of the time, sometimes it's the only kind of love a sibling knows how to show.

A slightly distant, deep voice takes me away from my thoughts. "Aiden," Emma opens the door wider and makes space for the person who has walked up next to her. "Meet Carpenter. Carpenter, meet Aiden."

I shake his hand. Not quite as tall as me, but quite broad shouldered and a little grumpy looking, he sizes me up with suspicion in his eyes. My guess is that he's very protective. "I've heard a lot about you."

Carpenter raises a brow, but seems to relax a little at my friendly tone. "If I know Em, it's probably not all that good," he jokes.

I shake my head. "Actually, I don't know what she's let you think, but I've got to admit that to me it sounds like she adores you."

"Is that so?" he turns to Emma, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Well, little sis, you know I'll be holding you to that from now on."

Emma gives me a look that accuses of me of being a traitor. I laugh.

"Well, are we gonna go eat or what?" Eddie asks. "I'm starved."

"Eddie," Emma gives him a disapproving glance, before rolling her eyes in fake exasperation and focusing on me again. "These brothers of mine never stop eating, it's like they have bottomless pits for stomachs."

"Sounds familiar." I pat my own stomach lightly. She laughs, and I feel a sort of magic in the air when she does. I'd never get tired of hearing that laugh. But pretty soon I know I might have to learn how to live without it.

Don't think about that.

As we all walk inside, Cleo appears in the hall. I wonder if I'm supposed to act like I haven't met her yet or not.

"Aiden, good to see you again!" she gives me a quick hug and steps back again.

I take my cue from her. "Hey Cleo."

Emma looks at me, confused. "You know each other?"

"Yeah, we, uh, met recently." It's true. I only met Patty today, even if I met Cleo a while ago.

"Em," Cleo says, angrily, but we can all tell she's just playing. "How could you have told him that my name was Patty? I'm going to get you back for that. I thought my days of being Patty were finally over."

"Oh, you will always be Patty to me," Emma taunts, and Cleo shakes her head.

"Hi there." A middle aged, petite woman whose face looks a lot like an older version of Emma's enters the hallway. It's getting crowded in here, but I like these people so much already that I don't really care. The woman who I assume to be Emma's mom gives me a smile, her eyes doing exactly what Emma's do when she smiles, crinkling at the corners. "Emma hasn't stopped talking about you today. I'm glad to finally meet you, young man."

"And I'm thrilled to meet you as well, ma'am." I say.

"It's just Marlene. Or Marli, if you like. Welcome to our home! It's so good to have you here. Shall we head to the kitchen? I'd appreciate some help setting the table, kids."

We all move into the kitchen and just after we finish laying the table together, I hear the sound of the front door opening. Mr. Rayburn must be home. I tense a little. I definitely want to be able to give the truthful impression that I only care for his daughter and wouldn't harm her, ever.
He walks into the room soon after, and proceeds to give his wife a kiss and his daughters hugs and his sons slaps on their backs before turning his attention to me. I realize after a beat of silence that he's waiting for me to speak first.