PROLOGUE

Staring into his cold blue eyes, Sophie could only see the remorse, the regret, the guilt... And the everything that she saw broke her heart. But it killed her when she saw what was behind all of the emotions. It was darker, holding bottled up anger from years ago up until now. The anger that burned through his eyes chilled her spine, and the only redeeming factor that comforted Sophie the slightest was the fear his eyes held.
He was scared, he was terrified. But even then, something was off. Something was off with the way he stood, with that way his eyes scanned the surrounding nervously.
Upset that she couldn't place her finger on it, Sophie slammed her memory log shut and rub her eyes until she saw spots and blurred lines.
It was all just so frustrating. A month! Nearly a month had passed since Keefe gave her the necklace and left to the Neverseen without a warning. Sophie hadn't received word from the Neverseen, the Black Swan or Keefe in nearly a month!
Just when she thought she had her life all figured out, everything flipped over and went tumbling down, with her trapped at the bottom, pinned down by all of life's misfortunes. Sophie was trying to fight her way back to the top and get a grip on her life, but she was too overwhelmed.
Every night, she studied the memory of Keefe when he was told to brand her, and every night, her eyes found his and the pained look in them when he touched the necklace and told her there was a crystal in it. A crystal that would save her life, and take her away from one of her best friends.
No. Her best friend.
But a memory could only reveal so much. For hours each night, Sophie would stay up begging the Keefe in her memory to come back, and each night tears fell on that page when it became apparent he would never respond to her.
She begged him in her mind that this was just some insanely sick joke, and that he would suddenly appear from out of nowhere.
Everyday, Sophie woke up and pleaded to herself, saying that it was just a bad dream. That this wasn't happening.
But each painful day passed, and it was like Sophie was trapped in her own prison.
She tried it all. Everyday, Sophie tried to make herself useful and busy herself so she would be able to ignore the feeling of betrayal in her gut. Or to try and push any anger she had towards Keefe out the window.
After all, she was the Moonlark! She was supposed to be useful, not useless.
But wihtout Keefe, she was nothing.

Author's Note|
Hey guys! BBALL113399 here. So, what you see here is a fanfiction that Phantom_Ink and I wrote. We hope you enjoy, please comment down below what you think so far! Also, the ship of this story will remain a mystery until towards the end. So, really, Sokeefe, Sofitz, Sodex and Sotam shippers will all have to read to find out what it is. We promise to add a little of each ship in it, but overall there will only be one pair. Hope you like it!