CHAPTER 8

As Ember watched Rylan drive away, she didn't know what to think.

Their kiss an hour ago had been electric. There had been something there, something real, something more than just both of them being hacking partners.

Rylan's lips had been like magic upon hers. When Ember had the sense to pull away, even Rylan's face was red. She had surprised herself as much as she'd surprised him. They hadn't said much after that.

Rylan had started to talk to Ember a few times in the car, but after a few words, he always went silent. Ember didn't know what to think.

Was there something there, or not? Does he want me, or doesn't he? What did he think about the kiss? Did he like it as much as I did?

The thoughts sped through her mind and she had zero answers. She wanted him, and the way he had kissed her, she thought that he wanted her. But she didn't have the courage to ask in the car, and now he was gone.

She climbed into her own car.

"Stupid!" she said to herself. "So stupid!"

What would she do if she lost her job now? If she compromised the integrity of it? She hadn't worked at a traditional job in her entire life, but she knew one of the rules was not to kiss your boss. And she'd broken that rule.

No use worrying about it, now.

She started up the rental car and started to pull out of the parking garage, lost in her thoughts. She looked to the left, and saw a car barreling towards her. She slammed on the brakes, her car screeching to a halt, half in and half out of the parking garage.

The car swerved around her and Ember looked up, seeing the car come to an immediate halt. She saw the door swing open, the man stepping out to probably berate her for not paying attention –

And she realized it was Michael. He looked every bit as dangerous as he had in the restaurant, and then some.

Instead of anger on his face, he just smiled. Ember thought about gunning it and running him over. Then her problems would be over. Her life could go back to normal. She pulled her foot off of the brake and started to roll forward, ready to push the accelerator down, and then replaced it on the brake.

What am I thinking? She shuddered. She had almost been willing to kill someone just to solve her problems. What's wrong with me? Maybe nothing.

Michael came around to her driver's side door. Ember glared but didn't roll down the window. He rapped his knuckles on the glass. His smile had melted away. She reluctantly rolled down the window.

"Where's my money, Em?"

"I don't have it."

He leaned close, putting his elbows on her door. His face was inches from hers. Ember felt herself flinching away. She wanted to remain strong – but it was too much.

"You'd better get it," he growled. A car honked from behind him; his car was still blocking the road. He turned back to them and Ember watched as the man laid off his horn. He looked terrified. Michael seemed to do that to people. "Son of a bitch," he said when he turned back. He grinned at her. "I want my money."

"I don't have it," Ember repeated.

"Then get it," he ordered. "Monday. I'll be in contact."

With that, he pulled away from her car and made his way towards his own. As he walked past the honking guy, he slammed his hand palm down on the hood of the car. The man inside jumped, as did Ember. Michael just busted up laughing. He turned back to Ember, tapped his hand on his forehead in a mock salute, and hopped into his car and was gone.