CHAPTER 4

His email came through with only two words: NOT YET.

Ember bristled. He was taunting her, teasing her, prodding her. He knew that he had her wrapped around his finger, and he meant to advantage of that by making her wait.

Ember closed the laptop down and pulled her legs up to her chest. She wanted to cry, but she wouldn't. Everything she'd built for herself could come crashing down around her. She had money, more than enough. But hacking was her passion. What would she do if she couldn't do that anymore?

She pushed the thoughts away. Right now, there was nothing she could do. She had to wait for Michael to make the next move. She just hoped that he had enough sense not to make things worse for both of them. Unsatisfied, Ember decided she should try to get some rest. After all, she had a new job to go to in the morning.

*

Ember had her own office, so she had at least one thing going for her. And the job agreement and salary terms she'd signed yesterday... those had been good, too. No, better than good. Great. She had almost doubled her income overnight.

If I can delay Michael, if I can get him to back off for just a while. I can take the money and run. She'd always wanted to go to the Bahamas, though she knew that was a cliché. She'd heard Spain was nice this time of year. She found her mind wandering to far off locales; she didn't notice Rylan come in.

She jumped when he said, "How are you liking the office?"

She gave him a scowl. He already knew the answer, so why was he asking her?

"It's fine," she remarked. It's much more than fine, but I'm not going to admit that to him. What wasn't to like? Her office was on the 7th floor, offering a stunning view of most of the city and the river below. She turned to the windows that were in place of a back wall, staring down at the sunlight glittering off of the water. It was peaceful. But it wasn't enough to take her mind off of Michael's threats.

She turned back to see Rylan watching her. He just smiled; she could tell that he knew she was lying. What all does he know about me?

He came forward, pulling out a chair and sitting down in front of it. He crossed his legs and then laced his fingers on his knee.

"Those chairs are for potential clients," she told him, but she sat down in her chair just the same. The table was rich, dark wood, heavy and expensive. A computer that didn't look like much sat off to the side, but she knew it was much more than it appeared: it was the first thing she'd checked out when she had got the key earlier this morning.

"You don't have any potential clients until 11," Rylan said. His voice was smug.

"You just can't mind your own business, can you? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

"You do work for me."

"With," Ember corrected. "And that doesn't mean you should hack into my calendar and check when I have my first clients."

"My job is being prepared, Miss Manchester. I like to check out every angle."

"Sounds like you have trust issues, Mr. Ford."

He bristled at that, as much as a man like him could: he ran a hand down one pants leg, smoothing out imaginary wrinkles. Whether she'd touched a nerve calling him out on his trust issues or he was unhappy she'd been able to find out his last name, she wasn't sure. But she had gotten under his skin.

"Rylan is fine," he said, getting up to leave the room. He buttoned his suit up as he stood.

"That's not how you address your boss," Ember said. He thinks he's the only one that can dish it out? He's in for a nasty surprise.