.PROLOGUE.

There was no way of knowing that today was going to change my life.

Sure, I knew it would be an amazing boost to my career and it would definitely secure my future as a journalist if everything went well. Little did I know, however, that it would also bring up a distraction that I had tried so hard, for so long, to keep in the past.

It had only been twenty-four hours -- one day -- with him three years ago, but it seemed to change everything for me. It was twenty-four hours I could never forget, even if I wanted to. Because of him, I had an excuse, if only for a day, to forget about everyone and everything around me and focus on what really mattered: me. Him. Us.

Listen, I know it sounds crazy that after such a short amount of time, I could be so certain about anything in the world, never mind an actual human being. I'm not so naive to expect anyone to understand. That's why I haven't told a single soul about what happened between the two of us. I was worried it would ruin everything. But ultimately, I was afraid that talking about it with anyone but him would make it even more difficult to deal with the fact that I would never see him again.

Or so I thought.

As soon as I catch sight of him, my breath hitches in my throat. He's here. To meet with me. Surely, I have to be dreaming. To be certain, I pinch my leg under the table as he sits down. There is no denying those familiar green eyes -- shining bright from across the table, staring a hole right through my own, setting fire to every fiber of my being -- and his hands -- thumb and forefinger tugging at his bottom lip, with more rings than I remember around his slender fingers -- are real, and sitting three feet away from me.

Those eyes, that mouth, his hands have been the shining distraction in the back of my mind for three years. Now, it seems they have moved right to front of the line and, although I was utterly terrified, I wasn't going to let them disappear to the back again.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Ahh! Ok, so this is the first thing I've written (other than school work) that I have ever shared with ANYONE! So, please, don't be too harsh. Any and all feedback is more than welcome. Advice is always nice, too. Bullying, however, in any form, will not be tolerated.

I do need to take a quick second to mention elean0rr1gby for being SO STINKING HELPFUL AND SUPPORTIVE while I freaked out over posting this. I don't know what I'd do without you . Honestly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so, so much.

I don't have an updating schedule for this book AT ALL. I'm not even sure anyone will read it. At this point, I'm hoping for the best but absolutely prepared for zero people to read it.

Ok, I'm done blabbing now. I'm literally shaking with nerves right now and I need to hit that "Publish" button before I chicken out.

If you read all of that, thank you! I hope you'll stick around to see what happens next.

XOXO, Tori