Chapter Two

Steven was an older man, he told me a while ago that he was 40 and had been serving the king for 15 years. He has been looking over me for the past month, he was making me do the impossible, he has been non stop teaching me how to be elegant, formal, mature, intelligent, a Royal. I had been corseted a week ago and was ordered that i should have to get used to the tight feeling on my ribs in another week, it was hard to breathe and my back hurt from sitting so straight. He had told me that woman in the castle had been doing this for years, i don't understand how, but then he told me that i would have to do the same.

It had only been a month of me living in secret on the castle grounds and i knew what the princes looked like, what their names, statuses, and ages were. I was from four to seven years younger than all of them, and that scared me a bit but it was expected for the women of esteem to be younger than their husbands and also, borne children at a young age, i had been taught a half of a life times knowledge in a month, and had to be whipped into shape with a new title and reputation before the new year started, i would be brought to the castle in secret to a ball where all of the young woman would be but Steven had told me something shocking.

The woman attending the ball will be chosen to stay, by the way they act, look, and the way they catch the princes eye. Steven told me that some 150 ladies will be chosen, 30 to each prince, to stay in their wing of the castle. The ladies chosen will be narrowed down over time, the princes will be deciding for their own reasons who will leave the castle and when they will. The reason he had taken me in and taught me these things was because the princes were arrogant and rude to all that met them. Steven saw that i had potential and could pass to be royalty and that i could possibly soften at least one of the princes.

He had taught me about the princes and some of their habits. He made me memorize them, as it was basic knowledge that anyone had known who was not kept in the dark as i had been for my whole life.

Louis- born a bastard (born of king and mistress(the kings "pleasurer"))- he is 22 and the oldest of the five sons- he was legitimized (bastards cant be king or prince unless they are legitimized) at 18- his sign is the dragon and his color is navy- he is excellent with politics but often gets himself in trouble with his antics.

Zayn- he is 21, the second oldest- he was legitimized at 18 as well- his sign is a horse and his color is gold- his mother had been murdered while searching for sanctuary, he was found by the king at a festival, the king is a kind man and decided to take him in.- is an amazing craftsman and often makes weapons and plans for the army.-he is on edge with the king from a recent incident in battle and will not likely get much land at all(also contributed by his lacking royal relation).

Liam-son of the king and queen- he is 21, the third oldest- his sign is a wolf and his color is black- he is known as the black prince- he is a skilled swordsman and is often in battle, but he barely talks nobody knows why though.

Niall-born a bastard- he is 21, the fourth oldest- he was legitimized just last year because the kings mistress had died- his sign is an eagle and his color is gray- he is a nice man but he had taken up drinking since his mothers death and when he is drunk, you should never be near him.- can be heard singing alone with the piano when he is distressed.

Harry- son of the king and queen- he is 20, the youngest- his sign is the lion and his color is red- he is known for luring girls in- but he has often mood swings and can get violent and loud without warning- he shows little compassion and and is a bit rough.

To me the best choice for me was Zayn, but i dont think steven was quite pointing me in that direction, i could tell he wanted me to go for Louis or Harry. They will have the largest grounds and the most power, as one of them will be the actual king and not just a lord waiting for the line of succession to hurry along, yet they would also be the hardest to soften up and or settle down.

This days lessons were for myself, getting to know my 'life' and reputation also where I was from and why nobody had heard of me before a month ago (Steven had started to spread rumors about the new high born girl from out of the country). my story was as follows...

Born across the sea to wealthy merchants Lady June and lord Lawrence. Grew up in a secluded villa aside the ocean but not seeing any worthy suitors, has moved to the richest part of the country temporarily for the princes. A good girl of 18 (even though I'm only 15). However we are going to pull a trick that my parents had been killed by barbarians only a week before I had come leaving all of the money to whoever marries me. A perfect plan but I'm not sure where we are going to get the money. I'm surely not rich and it's not like I can get a job and reveal myself.

"Steven" I said interrupting his lesson. "how am I going to get the money to give to the prince I marry? like we said in my "story"?" I asked.

"Well" he thought "good question my dear" he scratched his balding grey head while he looked around. " I was saving it for right before I sent you off but um" he said as he looked to the large locked chest in the corner I hadn't ever paid any attention to. I crossed my newly groomed brows as I saw him pull out an old looking leather sac. "I was saving these for a very special someone, maybe a daughter or a wife" he said as he looked at the sac lovingly. " I haven't had either of those myself sadly" he mumbled looking disappointed in himself. " but you, you in this short month have become what is most important to myself and this realm, you will become a beacon of hope and this is my thank you." he said a a he handed me the surprisingly heavy thick leather bag.

"Well thank you! very much!" I said still in shock by how heavy it was and the gift it's self, I'd never had one before. "what is it?" I asked trying to untie the knot. And when I did I couldn't hold in the shock. "o-oh my" I said as I looked at rich and beautiful looking gold silver and jewels. "I-I can't take this it's too much" I said as I tried to hand it back to him.

"No don't fight it please, I-I want you to have it" he said reassuringly. "you're all I have and I mean look at me, I'm an old man there is no way I'm going to have a daughter or wife before I pass" he said as he held my hands on the bag making sure I knew it was mine now and I understood.

"Thank you so much" I said as I stood and hugged him. "I'll miss you so much when I go" I said into his round soft belly. "I'll make sure to take care of you" I said to him as I pulled away a bit to look up at him. "you've been more of a father to me than my own has been my entire life and I won't let you go on like this, cold baths, struggling to get up everyday. I'll get you a maid to take care of you to your last day." I said smiling. I couldn't thank this man enough, he radiates welcome love and warmth that I can't even explain. He opened his home and heart to me when I am just a poor common girl I will always be that no matter the opportunity I have been given.

"Oh Reyna it's been a pleasure having you now back to your lessons though" he said chuckling easily. "we have merely a month till the ball now and winter is coming fast" he said rushing to the desk he sat at before gathering books for me to learn history's of the lands and castles.

I have no clue how I'm going to do this.