Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

Could you even die from seizures?

"Wait, I know exactly what to do to wake her up," a sly voice said. My mother. She hadn't used that voice in so long, and although it alone annoyed me to no end, I kind of missed it.

And then I realised what she was going to do.

"Alexis! Alexis!"

Stay calm, Lexi. The name Alexis doesn't annoy you anymore.

"Guess what? Today I'm going to be changing your name to Alexis, on your passport, on your NHS card, on your bank accounts, because Lexi is too informal!"

It's fake, Lexi. Don't react.

"Alexis?" She fake shouted. "Hurry up and take out the recycling! Alexis? Why aren't you up yet? A-leeeeex-issssss!"

"My name is not Alexis," I insisted before I could stop myself. It came out in a husky voice, most of the words in a half-whisper. I sighed to myself inside my head, and then opened my eyes, since due to my stupid intolerance of the name Alexis, I had proven myself awake.

Not that they ever thought I was dead, but still. I liked not hav-

"Lexi! Oh, Lexi! You're awake!" Gone was cheeky mum again, and back was my worry-guts mum. "Oh goodness darling, does it hurt? Are you okay? Oh gosh, I had no idea, I'm so sorry, I've been a terrible mum-"

-not having people fuss around my idiocy.

"Mum," I mumbled, and saw the hospital again. Squeaky clean walls, a monitor moving up and down in the corner, and about four people crowded around me. I was on a hospital bed, curtains drawn beside me and the door slightly open in the corner, allowing me to watch nurses rush past for an operation or something.

"Okay, Ms. Lewis, Lexi needs some rest," the doctor said. He looked like a kind man, middle-aged and with round glasses, and when he smiled, a slight dimple showed up on his right cheek. "Hello, Lexi. I'm your doctor, Dr. Wilson, and I'll be keeping watch over you whilst you're at New Cross Hospital. With me today is Nurse Ashton, who will also be looking after you."

This seemed impossibly cheesy right now. I had never even been to hospital before. In fact, I couldn't even remember the last time I was physically sick.

Of course, I had figured out I was practically insane, but that was different.

"Ms. Lewis, can you please exit the ward for now?" Nurse Ashton said in a posh accent, and my mum obeyed, walking out with a tissue in her hand and a little wave with the other. Nurse Ashton was young and had a brown ponytail hanging out of her cap, and had a lot of red lipstick on.

I closed my eyes again, but was jolted awake by someone taking the tubes out of my arm and chest and lifting me, propping me up against the head of the bed. I looked down at myself. I was dressed in a white hospital gown, and I had a few plasters up my arm. My leg was still hooked up, and I felt a thumping pain in my head. A woman at the front of the room was furiously writing notes on a piece of paper, and then Dr. Wilson spoke again.

"So, Lexi, you tried to hang yourself from a tree, but ended up falling from the branch?"

I refused to talk.

Dr. Wilson touched my shoulder with slight pressure. "You can talk to us, you know. You're in safe hands with us."

What on earth were they trying to convince me of?

Dr. Wilson sighed again, and looked me in the eye. "Well, you have concussion, as well as a sprained ankle and a twisted wrist. We found you, after your brother Levi called the emergency services, lying on the ground, on your right side? You were completely knocked out. You're lucky you landed on soft ground - you could have gotten a lot more serious injuries that way."