Chapter one

Copyright © All Rights Reserved.

Chris Parker

Chapter one

I lay on the stone-cold floor of the attic in a random building, across from an apartment block. Inside one of the apartment rooms was the head of a drug dealing company who had murdered many innocent people. He had escaped from jail a few months back and had dropped off the map. After he was spotted leaving the apartment building, the team got to work and I was sent here. I'd been sitting up here for nearly eight hours waiting for his return.

I looked through the scope of my sniper rifle.

The man was now pacing around his apartment, obviously irritated by something or someone. Being the head of an illegal drug dealing company, though, I could understand that he would come across a lot of problems. There's no doubt he wouldn't mind killing anybody to stay clear of them.

I could no longer see the man pacing the room and groaned in frustration.

"Parker!" Sergeant White's harsh tone of voice could be heard through the earpiece in my right ear. "Have you got a clear shot?"

"No, sir, I can't see him. I need him to come nearer to the window."

It had felt like an hour of waiting, lying on the cold wooden planks of the attic floor, until the Heavens opened up and the downpour began. It was raining heavily and every few seconds, a drop of water would land on my head from a leak in the roof. I didn't let my concentration waver as I noticed movement from the apartment. The man had approached the window to watch the storm.

I didn't waste a second. I grabbed a hold of my gun and through the scope I lined it up and aimed. With one pull of the trigger, the bullet flew silently and pierced straight through the man's forehead. He fell lifelessly to the ground.

"Good job, Parker," congratulated Sgt White.

(Alyssa's POV)

I jumped, hearing something fall to the floor heavily. I peered - the best I could - through the gap between the two doors to reveal Jonah's body lying on the floor. I gasped as I saw the hole that remained in his forehead. I wondered who could have shot him. Not that it really mattered. Lucas would have shot him after they made this deal anyway.

The door barged open, pulling me out of my thoughts. I sat as still as physically possible, hoping that the intruder wouldn't hear me.

Two big black boots walked over to where Jonah's lifeless body remained. They gave his face a shove with their foot and left the room. They returned only seconds later and I heard more footsteps enter the room. Both stood next to Jonah's still body on the floor. One of the pair crouched down towards Jonah and I craned my neck to get a better look at them. I regretted doing so instantly as I lost my footing and fell into the doors. I didn't have much room to fall and I was locked inside, but I made a loud enough bang to disturb the two intruders.

"What was that?" I heard a man ask in a hushed tone.

The other did not reply and instead slowly walked towards me.

I held my breath, scared for my life.

This is it. They're going to kill me. They killed Jonah and now they're coming for me too, I thought, panicking. 

The doors rattled but did not budge.

"It came from the wardrobe?" the same man asked. I heard his footsteps come towards me, also.