Chapter 8: Eyes

Depuis le début

With a feeling of desire she continued on her way, the trees at the side of the road were bare, except from the top part where the sunlight would hit the branches. On pictures it always looked like green oases, but when you walked along the trees you would only see logs. If even trees could deceive you, it wasn't much of a shock that people would be experts on that subject. She could already hear the sounds of rippling water and it didn't take long for her to come face to face with a large lake. It was hidden between the trees, but it looked stunning against the backdrop of mountains and sky.

She had been here several times already, but each time it still took her breath away. It was by luck that she had discovered this place and she had a feeling not many people knew about it. The size was quite large, but small enough to still see the opposite banks of the lake. Her eyes had glazed over when she was standing there, looking at the deep blue water in front of her. Suddenly she felt her phone vibrate again in her pocket and with an uncomfortable feeling she opened the message.

David - Why are you ignoring me?

It sounded nagging this time and she decided it was best if she would answer this time.

Keira - I'm busy, sorry.

It didn't take long for David to reply.

David - You're on holiday, how is it possible to be busy?

Keira - You know that it's possible to do stuff when you're on holiday, right?

Her last message maybe sounded a bit too bitchy, but she did not feel like going into a long discussion with David. She was on holiday and she could do whatever she liked, he could not control her, especially when he was at home and she was here.

David - Why are you always so annoying?

Keira - I'm sorry if me being busy annoys you, but that's not my fault.

David - It is. If I need you, you should answer.

Keira - I'm not your possession, I have a life of my own.

David - Don't make me laugh. Without me you are no one.

She felt her eyes sting and swiftly swept away the tears that had formed in her eyes. It sounded like he had been drinking already and it was only around midday back home. Was it because she was here and had left him behind at their home, should she feel responsible for his drinking behaviour? She couldn't make her mind up, because she was conflicted. If he started drinking earlier than normal, it was her fault, but on the other hand she didn't made him do it.

David - You're ignoring me, again.

David - I will not stop until you answer me.

David - You're probably with another guy, are you? Little slut, that's what you are.

After that last message she didn't want to read any more. She stuffed her phone as deep in her pocket as it would go and carried on walking along the green banks. Her phone kept vibrating and she switched of the sound, she wanted some peace and quiet. David made it impossibly hard to forget about home and she had a hard time keeping back her tears. Why had it to be her all the time? The sound of small waves soothed her to some extent, but she felt that she still had her fists clinched. Life was awful and nobody cared about her, why did she still wake up every day?

----------

Keira was on her way home, it had been another day where she had been bombarded by text messages from David. At first they had been nice and he had apologised once again for that horrible night. They had chatted for a while and it had been nice, it had felt like old times again. She had told him how beautiful Switzerland was and how pleasant it was to spend some time with her parents. He on the other hand had told her about his days at the university and that he was looking for a job for a couple of hours a week. She had encouraged him and was glad that he wanted to do something responsible for once. Normally she was the one who brought in most of the money to pay the rent.