CHAPTER 8 - Jacob

"Mr. Nulling's, Please Pass Me The Ointment." Miss Peregrine Hummed As She Finished Dabbing A Wet Cloth Along My Arm And Hand.

"Here, Miss." Millard Said, Bringing A Large Tube Of Beige Cream To Our Small Table.

She Nodded In Thanks, And Millard Resumed His Place Next To Me. Miss Peregrine Began To Rub The Cream Towards The Centre Of My Burn, And I Winced In Pain.

The Procedure Hadn't Hurt Too Much So Far; My Mind Was Elsewhere, Wondering Where Emma Was. I Hoped Melina And The Other Peculiars Had Found Her.

"You Know, Emma Will Be Alright, Jacob." Millard Whispered, As If Reading My Mind. He Said It With Such Certainty, And For A Slight Moment I Had Believed Him. I Nodded, Staying Quiet.

Miss Peregrine Had Finished Bandaging My Arm, And She Sighed Tiredly. The Bird Stretched Her Arms, And Turned To Me.

"Get Some Rest, Mr. Portman. We Will Find Her," She Said, Giving Me A Warm Smile.

With That, She Transformed Into A Peregrine And Flew Off; Presumingly Helping With The Search. I Walked Over To One Of The Many Bed In The Room, Suddenly Exhausted, And Sat. The Bed Squeaked Softly As I Collapsed.

"Bye, Millard." I Mumbled, Letting My Eyes Droop. He Chuckled.

"Bye, Jacob." He Said; And I Let The Pool Of Unconsciousness Swallow Me Whole.

-

I Hear Strained Voices; Speaking A Strangely Familiar Language. Tongue Of The Devil, Enoch And Addison Like To Call It. I Am The Only Peculiar Who Can Understand It; Hollowspeak. New Voices Join, But They Are Merely Human.

"Where Are The Hollows, Then? Aren't They Supposed To Be Chained?" A Voice Inquired.

"T - They Were Chained, Sir. On Our Way Here, However, They Escaped. You See, We Went After Them, But -" A Second Voice Quivered.

"Enough!" The First Bellowed. "That Is No Excuse For Poor Behaviour. You Know Our Mission, So You Not? We Need To Find Portman." He Snarled.

"Y - Yes, Sir. Understood, Sir." He Said. "Should I Call For More Hollows?"

"Yes. But Not Too Many, You See -" His Voice Was Cut Off And Replaced With A Static Of Sorts. I Felt A Sudden Pain Near My Ribcage, And Yelled In Pain.

"What Was That?" Someone Spoke. I Slowly Opened My Eyes, And Was Welcomed To A Large Forest Clearing. I Turned My Head Right To Spot Two Men.

"That - That Must Be A Hollow," Said The Weaker Voice. He Was A Small Man, With A Goatee Beard And Round Glasses. He Wore A Simple Suit, And Carried Dark Rings Under His Eyes.

"A Hollow? I Called For Five, Thompson! FIVE!" He Sighed In Anger And Frustration, Pinching The Bridge Of His Nose.

I Look Down At My Body - That Seemed To Be Replaced. The Body Wasn't Mine, But That Of A Hollows. I Felt Another Sharp Pain In My Temple, And I Yelled Out Again. The Yell Seemed More Of A Strangled Screech, Coming From The Hollows Lungs.

Both Men Jumped Backwards, And The Larger Pointed His Gun In My General Direction.

"Silence! Go Find The Boy! Now!" He Screamed, His Face Red. The Stick - Like Man Ripped Off His Black Shades And Threw Them At The Smaller Mans Feet. His Hair Was A Dark Grey, And He Wore A Bulky Camouflage Jumpsuit.