CHAPTER 4 - Horace

Bronwyn Had Come Outside, Frantically, Calling For Miss Peregrine.

After She Went Inside, The Remaining Children; Millard, Claire And Olive Who Had Come Outside, Enoch And Myself, Had Asked Her So Many Questions She Would Probably Loose Her Voice Answering Them All.

"Horace!" She Looked At Me.

"What?" All The Children Were So Loud It Was Hard To Hear Her. I Understood What She Meant.

"Oh," I Said. I Stood Up From My Patch Of Grass And Walked To The Porch. "Everyone, Calm Down!" I Yelled.

The Children Went Quiet For A Second Before Talking Again. I Sighed.

"Olive?" Bronwyn Called From Beside Me. " Magpie?" She Looked Around, Frantically.

"Wyn," I Shook Her Arm And She Spotted What I Was Pointing At.

The Door Was Open, And Olive Had Gone Inside. She Stood At The Foot Of The Steps.

"Olive!" Bronwyn Moaned. She Ran Inside, Causing Me To Follow; And Eventually All Of Us Parading Inside.

We Ran Up The Stairs And Down The Hallway, Stopping Behind Olive In A Doorway. I Peeked Inside.

The Place Was A Mess; Belongings Of Hugh And Jacob Littering The Floor, Emma And Hugh Sitting Together, Her Sobbing, And Miss Peregrine Kneeling Over A Body.

Jacob's Body.

Miss Peregrine Gave Up Trying To Find Something In Her Bag And Stood Up.

Jacob Had A Big Cut Over His Right Eyebrow, Blood Seeping Down His Face Onto The Floor.

The Glass - Wound On Jacob's Palm Was Seeping Blood Too, And Miss Peregrine Was Again Searching, Now For Bandages.

She Looked Up, Seeing Us. She Turned To Hugh.

"Mr. Apiston, Please. Take Miss Bloom To The Living Room. All Of You, Wait For Me Downstairs. Miss Bruntley, Would You Mind Helping Me?"

Bronwyn Nodded, And All Of Us Turned To Leave.

"Oh, And Mr. Somnusson, May I Have A Word?" I Stopped, And Turned To Wait Outside The Door.

Bronwyn Began Cleaning And Bandaging Jacob's Wounds, And Miss Peregrine Led Me To The Next Room.

She Closed The Door, And Turned To Me.

"Mr. Somnusson, Have You Had Any Dreams About Mr. Portman Lately? Anything At All?"

I Was A Little Taken Aback, But Thought Carefully.

"Not Any That I Can Recall, Miss Peregrine. Why Do You Ask?" I Replied. She Shook Her Head.

"No Reason, Horace. Now Please, Join The Others Downstairs. Miss Bruntley And I Will Return Shortly."

I Nodded And Left.

JACOB

I Woke, After I Don't Know How Long. My Head Felt Like A Log; Battered And Heavy. It Hurt Terribly, And So Did My Hand.