III. King's Fancy

Start from the beginning

"Since when did a spook like you care about snooping around?" I went through his phone and saw the first piece of information, her driver's license and photo ID. Nuri Hart, 5'9", 150lbs, black hair and eyes. Her license would expire at the end of January next year, so that made her 21 years old. She was a solid eight years younger than I was.

"What I mean is, this girl be completely out of harm's way. She not a threat to anyone least of all yourself, so why you care so much?"

I ignored him and went on with the information he had on his phone. She went to Michigan State University and graduated with two degrees, one in Literature and another in Interior Design. Now she worked as a freelance editor for some publishing company in California through correspondence, and she was now advertising her Design skills on her website that was launched not more than 72 hours ago. She didn't  even have a phone number to contact her, everything was by email. What if she had an emergency, what would she do? She very well couldn't email the police.

Then there were pictures of her. First, an adorable baby picture of her and her parents. She looked very much like her Father, and he was one built man.He was firefighter. She got her softness and delicate features from her mother who was a dance instructor. They had the same massive almond shaped eyes. Ambrose started to explain some things as I went through them all.

"She moved straight here from Michigan and done purposely removed herself from society. She  been here for damn near a year and despite living like a hermit crab, he website has already reached over 100,00 hits. She always working on something here and there, and keeps herself busy enough.

"What about her parents? What's the story on them?"

Ambrose shook his head in amusement. "You really like this girl?"

"Just answer the question man," I was losing my temper quick.

"No no, really ami. Do you fancy her? That why you going around like a peeping tom watching her collecting all this information?"

So what if I was. There are billions of people all over this green Earth and I had the capability to know all their dirty little secrets. "So what if I am?" I asked shamelessly.

"Why not you just leave somethings to the imagination huh?" He stood to his feet. "I know how you think and when you want something you go after it like you was going to war. With all this money in your pocket you could really have any girl you want." He scratched at his beard. "I just wonder  what will you talk about when you first meet her since done learned all there was to know about her?"

"Did you email these to me?" I asked him completely dismissing his question. He glared at me squarely and I met his gaze evenly. I understood the man completely, but I needed to learn as much as I could about her. It was my way of control. I wish I had did this when I met Emma. I would have been better prepared for her and what she was all about.

"I will as soon as you hand the phone over to me." He shook his head at me.

"Right." I handed the phone across the desk to him. "Thank you for your work, I'll have the money deposited into your account."

He took the phone from me right as Maggie came through the door. She wore a pale yellow blouse and green skirt, her heels softly treading the carpet.  "Hello fellas. Sorry to interrupt but I have some official business that needs tending to." Her wavy auburn hair cascaded down and around her and she was smiling.

Ambrose was stunned into silence and watched her.

"What now?" I asked. BelleVie Parish would soon house thirteen neighborhoods all in one subdivision called King's Court.  It was an imposing pain in my ass, but I had good people like Maggie on it.