Michael was situated a horrible distance away from me. The side of his face was visible. I couldn't see his eyes however his mouth was a thin line. And when I glanced down at his hands his knuckles were white from the way he was clenching his fists.

"Say something. Anything." I whispered.

Still he didn't move. 

If I held this in longer, what would it have been like? Would it be ten times worse? Would he hate me? Scratch that, would he hate me more than he does right now?

The silence and his abnormal stillness were getting to me. So I tried to say to him, "I'm so sorry, Michael. I didn't tell you the first time because I wanted to protect Aaron. And he said he'd know if I tried telling you--"

"So, why are you telling me now?"

I watched his eyes slowly lift from his feet to me. His eyes wouldn't meet mine however. They remained on my mouth. Growing blacker and blacker as his chest rose and fell fast.

"Because I couldn't keep this away from you. It was burning a hole inside me."

"And yet... You continued to do it."

I shook my head. "No, I didn't--"

"Is he a nice vampire, Evangeline?" His voice was like venom to my ears. Every one of his words stung. "Does he treat you right? Has your blood been to his liking?"

I flinched like he slapped me and blinked away the sudden sting to my eyes. "Don't be like that Michael, it wasn't--"

"What's he like?" He walked swiftly back to the chair and sat down. His eyes finally met mine however I wished they didn't. They were a cold, almost empty black. The veins on his face outlining telling me exactly how angry he was. "Because every time I wish to meet him he seems to... Disappear. Of course, what hadn't occurred to you was to tell us so we could intercept one of your meetings? Did that ever occur to you?"

"...No." It honestly hadn't. The idea of either John or Michael coming with me to stop Tate. But... It hadn't occurred to me because Tate wasn't the bad guy in this. So why should he die for being told what to do. "Because he doesn't deserve it."

"Why's that?"

"He's not a bad person--"

"And this theory came from what, the four times you've actually met him? Well done, Evie, I applaud you for that genius idea."

I let out a deep breath and narrowed my eyes at him. "Don't patronise me."

"What?" He swung his arms into the air and shot up from his seat. "What's wrong? Have I done something wrong?" He started walking toward me. "Have I said something that may have upset you?"

"You're being... unfair." I whispered.

"Oh, honey, I am being perfectly fair."

"You said—"

"I trust you? I do. It's him I do not trust." He half yelled.

"Look, I know you're angry. I accept whatever kind of punishment--"

"Punishment? I hope you're joking. Because I'm not your parents. I am the man that loves you no matter what stupid thing you've come up with or done. I'm not punishing you like a 10 year old. I'm storming out."

"W-what?"

"You can't possibly comprehend how angry I am, Evangeline." He stopped in front of me. "I can't think straight; I can't be around you right now."

"No, don't go." I started shaking me head. "I don't want you to storm off. I don't care if you say you're coming back you're still leaving. We haven't resolved this. I can't let you leave yet please."