Chapter 14

Ruth drove a few minutes away to a small auto shop to sell the van. She didn't care to haggle too much, and sold the van for much lower than it was worth. She just wanted it gone; some form of government would probably confiscate it soon anyway.

From there, Ruth went to the nearest motel and paid for a few nights. For those first couple days, she didn't leave the room once because of her weariness. It was the silence that felt like it was killing her. Silence made the hours long, and the thoughts loud. It seemed to happen so sudden that she was now grieving for her brother, the children who didn't make it out of the facility, the woman who raised her, and her old life entirely. The adjustment terrified her. Many times her mind became clouded as she grew incredibly angry at the fact that she couldn't turn back time and be back at the facility. She had never been this alone, there was no one.

Ruth eventually made it out of the motel room and walked around the city, keeping her distance to where she thought cameras would be located.

Maybe, she thought, being found by authorities wouldn't be so bad. If they killed her, it didn't matter anymore. If they questioned her and she talked, the Woman wouldn't be there to scare her. Maybe if she helped them, somehow, some of the things she has done could be forgiven...Maybe.

    After two weeks of being on her own, an opportunity to help came. Ruth made sure she was easily found, and one agent peacefully met up with her at a quaint, local diner. She knew as soon as the man walked in that he was an agent. Besides the obvious ball cap and leather jacket combo, his stature and presence filled the room.

    "Good afternoon," Ruth greeted him as he came over to her table.

    "Good afternoon to you, Ruth Rogers."

    "Just call me Ruth, please." She spoke in tone that didn't ask, but said firmly. "And what's your name?"

    "Agent Rumlow. Are you going to cooperate with us?"

    "'Us' meaning SHIELD, right?"

    "Yes."

    "And how exactly do you want me to cooperate? By giving up some information?"

    "That and a little more. Who do you work for?"

    Ruth smiled, "Is that supposed to be a trick question? I work for no one right now. The person I did work for is dead, and I know that you know that."

    Grinning, Rumlow replied, "It's true, we know some things. But if you come in, we can talk about everything. And depending on how much you give us, we can take some things off your record."

    Ruth nodded and looked down at her tea.

    "I just have one question before I agree to go with you, even though I know you have plenty of agents waiting outside to take me in by force, so it wouldn't really be my choice," Ruth started, Rumlow smirked at her knowledge of it. "Who was the person that gave the tip as to where the facility was that I stayed at?"

    Rumlow leaned back in his chair, "Your good friend Ryker. He came to us, then we came to you."

    Ruth felt grief grip her chest.

    "So you'll cooperate?"

    "Yes."

    From there, Ruth left with Agent Rumlow where they led her quietly to their nearby car. In the expensive government car, they put hand restraints on her, to which she questioned them why they would do that even though she was cooperating. They said it was just in case.

Ruth couldn't see where they were going, the back of the car was completely blocked off from her getting any view of the outside. She tried to count the time, but once they stopped, she lost the need to. When she was lead out of the car, Ruth saw that it seemed to be an airport of some sort. They walked her straight towards a Quinjet equipped to go.