Chapter Thirty ~ Helping Black

Start from the beginning

We nodded curtly at each other, and I turned swiftly to return to the castle. My feet padding against the cold stones, I made my way to the Great Hall for dinner. All of the table were assembled, and everybody had commenced eating.

Avoiding eye contact with the many faces staring at me, I seated myself between Drew and Paige. Smiling weakly, I ladled some vegetables and a few pieces of chickens on to my plate and began shovelling food in to my mouth.

I had only just realised how insanely hungry I was, now that my anxiety had left me. Tomorrow, I had my Care of Magical Creatures exam, as well as my Potions exam. I wasn't happy about Potions, because it was well known that I was awful at it.

Finishing my dinner, I skipped dessert and rushed back up to Ravenclaw tower. I loved running up stairs, feeling my feet pound against each level until I reached the top. Briefly, I considered running back down the stairs and enjoy it all over again, but I refrained.

Entering the dorm, I looked around and saw that nobody else had wished to skip dessert like me. Seating myself on one of the particularly soft couches beside a window, I gazed out at the night. Silver stars shone bright over the inky sky, plump clouds rolling across occasionally.

I wished that I could tell Harry the truth, and save everybody so much trouble, but why would he believe me? Sighing, I thought about how Thursday would pan out, I hoped that nobody would die, which is a big thing to say, but risks could be faced.

I stared out at the stars for what seemed like an eternity, but I soon woke up and realised that I had, perhaps, been dreaming about gazing at the stars all night. Luckily, the couch was long enough for my body, so I was at all uncomfortable.

Stretching out my limbs and yawning, I set about getting showered and dressed, before rushing down to my exams upon examining the time. Luckily, it was only Care of Magical Creatures that I was late for, so Hagrid didn't much mind.

His face was visibly sunken and sad, and I guessed that this was due to Buckbeak's imminent execution. Apologising, I sat down and allowed the day to float by. Every hour was an hour closer to helping to free Sirius and imprison Pettigrew.

As lunch approached, I helped myself to a large turkey sandwich, and sat beside Neville. He was as white as a ghost, no offense meant to all of the Hogwarts ghosts, and his hands were shaking. I knew that he had been nervous about the exams, but this was severe.

"Nev, you'll be fine. You're fine in Potions." I reassured him, rubbing his back.

"R-right..." he stammered, forcing himself to chew another mouthful.

The rest of the lunchbreak went on like this, hyping up Neville until he cheeks had colour again. By the time lunch was finished, I had barely eaten because I had spent the entire time talking. Chomping furiously on the last of my sandwich, I rushed to Potions with a full mouth.

Potions finished swiftly, and I found no difficulties with it (much to my surprise). As far as intelligence went, I was easily as smart as Hermione, but I never knew whether that was due to personal skill or the fact that I had grown up reading the books we were currently learning.

In any case, I didn't disturb Hermione's flow by outshining her; I quietly did my work and completed my exams. That night passed as easily as the last, with no anxiety building yet. Tomorrow was Wednesday, and Thursday would follow.

Tomorrow, I knew that I would be stressed out and anxious all day, so I enjoyed my present serenity. Treating myself to a White Tea shower, I burrowed in to my blankets (though it was not a cold night) and fell asleep swiftly and without difficulty.