Chapter Twelve ~ Loyalties

Dobby leaped for joy throughout the room, looking like a deranged dancer. I smiled at Dobby kindly for his enthusiasm, however it distracted him from our focus: Saving Harry Potter. Resting my arms on his shoulders, I kept him still and gave him a sharp look to remind him of our goal.

"Dobby will make sure that Harry Potter never walks through Platform 9 and 3/4!!!" he squeaked, his eyes as wide as crystal balls.

"Great idea! Except... how do you even do that?" I replied, feeling slightly crestfallen at the impossible idea.

"Dobby can! Dobby has his magic!" he continued, his eyes growing suddenly intelligent.

Smiling, I realised that we had slightly less than a month to fully ensure that Harry would be totally safe from the Malfoy's plotting. It was a chilly Tuesday evening, I knew that tomorrow we would be shopping at Diagon Alley for school supplies.

My eyes continually wandered to the sack of coins in my trunk. A collection of galleons, sickles and knuts twinkled merrily whenever I shook it even slightly. Reading my booklist, which had been sent to me soon after my Hogwarts, I saw the recurring theme of Gilderoy Lockheart books.

Raising an eyebrow, I assumed that we would most likely have a swooning woman, whose infatuation with Lockheart had led her to create such a biased list. Sighing irritably at this flamboyant display, I carefully laid out my clothes and prepared for my first ever trip to Diagon Alley.

~

My curtains hung wide open, allowing me to wake up as soon as the sun rose precariously over the hills. Stretching out, I saw Leon happily sleeping at my feet, his easy breaths inflating and deflating his chest. It was moments like these that I craved.

Moments that the entire world seemed to stop breathe deeply and let out a prolonged yawn. I hadn't begun my birthday present from Neville, not wanting to spoil it. Something in my mind told me that it had to wait, for another time or another place...

Standing up, I stretched further and gazed down at my wavy brown hair. Lately, it had been getting lighter and lighter, growing away from its brown roots. I thought, naively, that perhaps this was my life. I was moving away from the seductions of Tom Riddle and his ways, and forward to my own destiny.

An untainted destiny.

Staring at the window, I only now realised how beautiful it was. The wonderful window bore an inbuilt seat, making it protrude from the outer wall. This seat reached my hip, making it easy to sit down on it. After that point, the glass stretched all the way up to wall, connecting to the emerald ceiling.

Rather than simply sitting on the window-seat, I opened the windows and sat on the stone ledge, allowing a crisp breeze to caress my face. This room, though it was implanted in a house that belonged to a most detestable family, had become a haven for me.

This house would always signify my own personal 'limbo', as the Muggle's say. This room had been where I had narrowly avoided joining the clutches of my dead father, and the room where I had truly found my loyalties. My loyalties belonged to freedom. Pure and simple.

If Harry Potter were going to defend the world form the ever-immanent threat of my father, thus resulting in peace, then I would support him until I reached my dying breath. A ripple of pride circulated through my body as I realised that I had reached my terrifying goal.

White peacocks, curiously pecking at the undergrowth, out-skirted the impeccable hedges below. Something about the perfectly linear bushes, the retrained gardens seemed to personify the Malfoy's reserved and regal manners perfectly.