Part 32

Rebel base, Atollon, 1530, 3279 LY

    ''I don't get it,'' Hera growled, pacing in front of Zeb and Sabine. All except Kanan were gathered in the medcenter because of Ezra, who still slept soundly. ''I ran all sorts of tests. Even the med droid ran tests, and all we know is that Ezra's dehydrated, exhausted, has an infected blaster wound, and he's sick. What we don't know is what he's sick with.''

     Zeb was the first to speak. ''Could it be the Viper again?'' 

     The door opened with a swish as a familiar voice growled, ''No.'' It was Kanan! ''It's another Force-attuned disease, designed to target anyone who is stronger in the Force than most.'' He paused, looking down with a frown. ''It causes nightmares which lead to sleepless nights. It breaks down the person's shields, then causes headaches, stomachaches, vomiting, unconsciousness, and eventual death if not caught in time.''

     Hera raised an eyebrow. She growled, ''How do you know something that I can't find in any database whatsoever?''

     Kanan's answer came out sounding pained. ''You won't find it in any database because the Empire doesn't want you to know something that only affects Padawans and stronger.'' A pause, a sigh. ''The Empire created it after the Clone Wars. It wasn't in my holocron when I got it.''

     ''You got this?'' Hera questioned incredulously. 

     ''It happened long before you showed up, Hera,'' Kanan began. ''I got nightmares of my Master. They got worse and worse before I got a major headache and began vomiting everything I ate. Eventually, I passed out. I almost died that night. I had no one to pull me out. Something did. Something gave me their hand and dragged me out. I haven't gotten it back since.''

     No one said a word. Finally, Sabine spoke as Zeb was opening his mouth to speak. She stole his thoughts. ''Why didn't you tell us?''

     ''I didn't think it mattered,'' Kanan admitted, rubbing his neck nervously. ''I just, uh, I let it go.''

     Hera grabbed his hands. ''It matters, love. You matter.''

     Kanan smiled, then turned his face to Ezra. ''I need to get Ezra. Do whatever will make you feel better, but I'm going in there.''

     Zeb growled sarcastically, ''Of course you are.''