Chapter 38: A Ship In The Night

A/N: Just a little PSA before you continue, this is NOT the last chapter. You will clearly be able to tell when it is. Enjoy!

My feet touch down on the soft, dewy grass of the native's camp. The blades curl around my toes and welcome me in an unspoken way that I haven't quite adjusted to.

"See." Peter remarks, brushing invisible pixie dust off his shoulder, "That wasn't too bad, was it?"
I took a step forward and kneeled down, running my hands over the bright grass, "Flying is fun and all, but I prefer to stay right here on the ground, thank you very much."
Peter rolled his eyes and adjusted the cap on his head, "Well being out at sea isn't the same as being on land."
"Who said I like being out at sea?" I rebuked, standing up.

"I thought you enjoyed sailing, blondie?" Arthur questioned, raising a dark eyebrow.
Peter pointed at him and also raised his eyebrows in a way that made Arthur's comment defend his argument.

I laced my fingers around the sword at my hip and shrugged my shoulders, "All I'm saying is that if you asked me to pick between sea, sky, or shore... I would pick shore."
Peter and Arthur raised their voices over one another trying to convince me why flying is better than being on the ground and why the sea is far more entertaining than the land.

"Alright now." Wendy finally interjected, settling us as a mother settles her bickering children, "Ophelia has her preference just as you two boys have yours. You cannot be upset with her if it differs from what you favor."
"But-"
"No buts." Wendy silenced Peter with a bemused glance, "If you keep bickering about such nonsense things your tongue is sure to fall off."
Peter and Arthur exchanged worried looks while Wendy looked to me and gave a subtle wink.

"Little Flying Eagle."

All four of us turned around to see the Chief of the natives, a large but tender man, striding towards us. His arms were open wide and Peter stepped into a caring embrace.

"Your companions made it here just moments before you." Chief said, clapping Peter on the shoulder with his giant hand, "Couldn't get in the air fast enough, I presume?"

The Chief gave me with a knowing smile and I gave him one back. "At least this time I didn't fall."
He grinned and also put a hand on my shoulder, "Progress is good, Little Wolf."

Word had gotten around of a girl who ran with the wolves on Neverland. I heard many a tale of this warrior girl who defeated the greatest of evils, and spent the rest of her days roaming the jungle with her silver haired wolf who followed her every command. People around here say she's a hero. A savior.

But who am I to say she isn't?

After all, she did outwit a pirate. And not just one.

"Shall we join the others?" Arthur suggested.
The Chief returned Arthur's smile and clapped his hands together, tilting his chin over his shoulder, "Yes, come along. They are waiting for you."

*****

I erupted with laughter as I ran through the moonlit jungles surrounding the native's camp. Fairies scattered before me, leaving trails of orange pixie dust that led my way through the overgrown leaves and trees blocking my path. One of them whizzed up through my hair, streaking my face with the glittery dust. I brushed it aside and peeked over my shoulder, lifting my feet skillfully as I jumped about.

Two strong arms wrapped themselves around my waist and lifted me off the ground mid-jump, spinning me in a circle.

"Arthur!" I giggled, "Put me down!"

He spun me once more and then planted my feet on the ground, firmly clasping his hands behind my back.

"It's not fair making me chase you." He panted, beads of sweat forming on his stubbled cheeks, "You spend your spare time roaming these parts with Tala and I haven't spent nearly as much time doing so."
I poked his chest and smirked, "It's not my fault you're too preoccupied teaching Peter how to fire a cannon."
"I've invited you to join us on every occasion."
"So I can spend my afternoons blowing my eardrums out while you practice the perfect shot?" I teased, shaking my head, "Absolutely not. I prefer to spend my time with Tala and Slightly. It's like you said, I've roamed every inch of this island. I can lead you in circles for days and you would never know."