Chapter 29: A Grand Meeting

Scenery raced passed me in a blur.

I became one with the jungle, blending in as if I was one of its creatures. A silver haired wolf, perhaps.

Navigating had become an easy task for me. I had no difficulty maneuvering around the densely packed shrubs and crowded lines of trees. I zig-zagged through the maze and kept my legs moving at a constant pace, my sword held tightly in my right hand.

As I ran the jungle became darker. The long shadows crept behind me until they disappeared, and darkness shrouded the trees from sight. It was a miracle that I didn't run into one of them. The moon was only half full, leaving the jungle mostly pitch black.

I heard a growl to my right and I came to an abrupt stop, my senses on high alert. My feet slammed into the dirt as it skidded around me, specks flying into my face. I ignored them and kept my eyes trained on the bushes before me. The growling came again, low and angry, and I poised myself for attack.

Whatever monster was in those bushes, I think it had just found its dinner.

A pair of yellow, glowing eyes emerged from the darkness. They narrowed at me and growled again, its teeth snapping open and closed in a threatening manor.

The beast rustled the bushes, but before it could pounce, another set of barking joined it.

I gasped and took a step back, now acutely aware of the multiple animals preparing to devour me. The darkness was both my enemy and my friend. It kept me hidden for the most part, so long as I was quiet. But it also hid my foe. I couldn't see where the animal was, and it had me gritting my teeth in anticipation.

Before I had the chance to even think about running, I heard a vicious bark from behind the bushes. There was a sound of a collision and breaking twigs on the jungle floor. The animals barked and growled at each other until finally, one of them surrendered, and I heard it go whimpering off into the distance.

That solved my problem of two animals, but now there was one alpha to attack me. The bushes rustled again, I held out my sword, and to my utter disbelief Tala untangled herself from the shrubs.

"Tala." I breathed, dropping to my knees and inviting her into my arms.

She trotted over and nuzzled her snout into my hair, licking my neck repeatedly.

"You saved me." I said, stroking her grey fur, "Thank you."

She pulled away and I got a glimpse of her blue eyes in the moon light, looking up at me admiringly. I scratched between her ears and picked up my sword, brushing myself off.

"Unfortunately that wolf wasn't the only danger we're facing tonight. I have to find Wendy and John before Peter does. Come on, we need to hurry."

As though she understood what I meant, Tala took off ahead of me into the jungle. I followed behind her, my hair whipping against my back, and kept my eyes peeled for any sign of human activity.

We ran for a long time through the ominous jungle, past glowing eyes, and shrieking trees, and whispering brooks. I was beginning to lose hope of ever finding them on this god forsaken island when I noticed that things around me were looking familiar.

Up ahead I saw a faint glow of colored lights, but it wasn't until I heard laughter that I realized where I was.

The faint glow turned into a clear picture, and I was taken aback once again.

Tala had lead us to The Forest of Color. The gigantic trees which had draped their colorful vines from its branches were not only still colorful, but they were actually lighting up in the same colors. It was a rainbow of night lights, and I paused as I took it in. It was spectacularly beautiful.