Chapter 32: Confrontation

Arthur grabbed his leather coat from behind the door and held his arm out to me, gesturing to follow Samuel out the door. We both knew there was no point in arguing it. Hook wanted to see us, and so he would.

I steadied myself against the swaying of the ship, my boots tapping on the wooden floor, and walked to the door. As Arthur closed the door behind us and let Samuel lead us to the stairs, he draped the jacket around my shoulders and helped me put my arms through the holes.

"Once we get up there, we have to act natural." He whispered, his mouth pressed against my ear inconspicuously as he settled the jacket on my back, "If he suspects any treachery, we're done for."
I fit my damp arms through the sleeves and fixed the collar, pulling my hair out and tossing the long locks over my shoulder, "I'll keep his attention on me while you free the boys."
"Remember," He warned, pausing at the bottom of the steps as Samuel ascended before us, "You have to be genuine about this. There's no room for make-believe any more."
I adjusted the sword at my hip in a more ready position, the long coat swishing around my ankles, "Funny how that's the one thing that got me into this mess in the first place. My siblings make-believing."

"Hey, if they never make believed, you wouldn't have met me." Arthur grinned, his usual cockiness somewhat diminished.
I crinkled my nose and put my hands on his chest, chuckling, "And what a shame that would have been."

Arthur tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, our chests pressed together, when a shout from up above caught my attention.

I peered up the steps at the grey light that poured into the hull and wobbled away from Arthur, gripping the rope handles. I knew that once I crossed the threshold into open air, the plan would be in motion. Either we captured Hook and figured out a way to save Peter, or we died trying. There was no turning back, no hesitation. He had my siblings. He had me. If we didn't win this battle now it would never end. Hook would turn Neverland into chaos and no child would ever be safe here again. It had to end, once and for all.

"Don't be scared." Arthur said, catching my eye.
I looked up the stairs again, at my impending performance, and clenched my teeth, "Believe me. I'm not."

I put one foot in front of the other and kept my hand securely on my sword as I climbed the stairs. Before very long I made it to the top, Arthur right behind me, and I had to blink to adjust to the brightness. It wasn't bright in the sense that it was sunny, in fact it was snowing more heavily than it had been before, but the grey of the sky was nearly blinding.

The moment I took a breath of the cold air, it sharpened my senses. I could see the heavy snowflakes collecting on the deck as they poured from the sky. I could feel the bitter spray of the ocean as it collided with the sides of the ship. I could hear the silenced murmur of the pirates standing around me, their eyes curious and full of anger.

I stopped a few steps away from the stairs, finally out on the open deck, and looked around.  Arthur stood next to me, standing so that our shoulders brushed, and I felt my fingers itch to grab the sword at my hip when I spotted the main mast in the center of the deck.

All of the Lost Boys were tied up around it, their backs pressed together and bodies secured so tightly that they couldn't move a muscle. Ropes were around their mouths, preventing them from speaking, but their eyes were wide and frightened when they landed on me. They squirmed against their restraints and shouted into their gags. The sound was muffled, but they shouted all the same.

Nibs and Tootles kicked their feet up in an attempt to wiggle out of the bond. Curly and the Twins screamed into their gags and sneered at the pirates. I could see Slightly working on loosening his arms, but judging on how tightly they were bound, I doubted he could break free. Beside him, John and Michael also wormed against the ropes, desperately trying to get free. Lastly I saw Wendy. She was standing boldly, tied up with the boys, but her head was held high and her face showed no signs of fear. Unlike the boys, she did not try to free herself. She seemed stone-faced. Except for the moment I caught her eye, where there was a panicked second of realization that we were all aboard the ship.