Marcus (Ch. 2)

Fear was radiating of off me like heat from a stove. Marcus walked in seconds later and my head snapped toward the door.

"What now?" I asked.

"Well my darling, you are free to live your new life now," he said in a sickly sweet tone.

"Like I said when I came here the first time, what's the catch? There's gotta be some trick to this," I said through gritted teeth.

"When the time comes we will send for you," he said and waved a hand at me. Two buff dudes standing guard escorted me out of the old warehouse and slammed a large metal door behind me as I walked out into the cold toward my car.

"What did I get myself into?" I moaned as I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the chair supporting me. I put my keys into the ignition after moping for five more minutes and drove off to my boring flat.

I arrived back as the sun dipped toward the horizon. I heated up myself some pasta and plopped onto my bed. I grabbed my laptop and started to look up flights to any tropical place far away from cold Manhattan. A knock rang out in the silence minutes later. I shuffled toward the door and peeked through the peep hole. I saw no one and began to turn the doorknob cautiously. I peered down the hall and when I took a step to get a better view my foot came in contact with a little parcel sitting in front of me. Boring brown paper enveloped the strange rectangle and a hand written address was labeled on the front. I ripped away the brown paper and found a wooden box underneath. I pried open the lid and found a large sum of money sitting inside. Stacks upon stacks of hundreds were neatly clipped together and piled one on top of the other. "What the hell," I thought out loud. I took the box and flipped it upside down, dumping the contents onto the granite counter top. I stuck my hand in the box, reaching for a nonexistent note. I put the box down and rushed into the hall and ran out to the street. People were bustling up and down the side walk as I scanned the crowd before me. I rushed back to my loft and sat down on one of the stools and started counting the money. Thousands after thousands went by and I reached seventy five hundred thousand dollars. I pushed my stool away from the counter and stood up. That's a lot of money, I thought. But what's it for?