Irene ignored the pain that rose in her chest at Josie's words. The tears begin to appear but she held them back. She couldn't cry. Not here and not in front of everyone.

Irene nodded. Couldn't speak.

'Good, you can go now.' Josie said dismissing her.

Irene quickly got up from her seat and walked towards the direction of the washroom. But before she could go she heard Lucas say 'Why the fuck did you have to invite her? Isn't  it enough that the she's already caused havoc in our lives? Why'd you have to go and invite that sorry excuse of a human?'

Irene's lips trembled at his words. It was the first time in months that she heard Lucas talk about her. He still hadn't changed his view about her. Would he ever? She looked up at her reflection in the mirror.

Sorry excuse of a human.

Why does he hate her so much? Irene couldn't stand his hate. It made her so damn weak. Before she could leak out some tears, the door of the bathroom opened and in came Serena looking smug and proud.

Serena stood beside Irene and looked at her own reflection. She was a beauty, Irene couldn't deny that. But Irene also knew about the person beneath this exterior beauty.

Irene made a move to walk away but Serena caught her wrist. 'Why are you running away my dear?' She asked, her nails digging in her skin.

Irene snatched away her hand. 'What are you talking about?'

Serena tilted her head and studied Irene as if she were a mere specimen. 'Oh nothing, you just seem to run away all the time, aren't you tired? But alas! What else could one expect from someone like you? Someone so worthless?'

Irene gritted her teeth. She wouldn't give in to her. This was just like Serena to exploit on one's weakness. 'If you'd excuse me, I've got work to do.'

The shrill laughter made her stop. 'Look at where you are! You've come back to the very place Lucas picked you up from and aren't I glad!' She sighed. 'You didn't deserve the kind of lifestyle we lived and for once I'm happy  that Lucas realised this sooner and dumped your sorry ass back on the street.'

Irene kept her calm, but the storm inside her was brewing.

Serena walked past her and leaned down to whisper. 'He's all mine now, as he should've been before he got distracted by you, anyway it's over and done so thankyou for making him realise that.'

With that she walked out leaving Irene tremble with rage. The tears leaked out now, unstoppable.

What has become of her life? Will she ever find peace? Irene didn't come out of the washroom until Lucas and his family had left.

The next day, Irene called in sick. Patrick, being the good guy that he was, told her to take care of herself. Irene smiled bitterly. How can she when the world is hell bent on destroying her?

At noon, Lizzie called. 'Hey, how are you holding up?'

Irene nodded, even though Lizzie couldn't see her. 'I'm doing just fine.'

'Good, listen, I'm sorry we went away leaving you all alone, it's just we had been planning this trip for a month and I didn't want to upset James, he hardly gets time for vacations.' Lizzie spoke, an apology in her tone.

Irene scoffed 'Shut up, you know you don't need to be sorry, it's been a long time since you and James had some time to yourselves, you deserve it, don't worry about me, I'm alright, you just enjoy.'

'But..'

'No buts.' Irene cut in. 'You've done so much for me, the least I could do is let you and James enjoy your trip without having to worry about me.'

'Alright, I'll listen to you just this once.' Lizzie replied reluctantly.

Irene rolled her eyes. 'Thankgod! Besides, I've got Cassie here to look after me, even though I don't need her to, so just relax alright?'

'Okay.' Came the reply.

Irene was itching to tell Lizzie about yesterday, but kept her mouth shut. She didn't want to destroy their trip with her problems. Irene knew Lizzie would want to know about it, as she had been the only one who took her out of the phase she was in and has been by her side ever since Lucas had left her broken and shattered, but Irene couldn't tell her now. Maybe later.

They spoke for some more time before James cut in. 'Alright Irene, I'm gonna have to steal my girl away, she doesn't seem to know when to stop!'

In the background, Irene heard Lizzie shout 'Hey!'

James laughed 'We'll see you soon, take care.'

Irene switched off her phone and sighed, closing her eyes, remembering.

Why does she still yearn for him, knowing his hatred knew no bounds?