Chapter Six

Irene stood behind the counter and stared at their table. She could see that nothing much had changed about  them. They sat together the same way they used to, in stone cold silence, waiting for someone to break it. As Irene had thought, Josie spoke up as usual, ìnitiating a conversation and soon, others joined in.

They were the same, Irene mused. They behaived as strangers with each other. She recalled how insufferable it was to be around the whole family at each dinner. Even though they welcomed Irene as their own, Irene had always felt detached from them. The only reason she could bear the awkwardness was because of her husband by her side. He always made her smile with his words, making the family dinner a little more bearable.

'Why are you staring at them?' Jenny asked with a frown which was soon replaced by a sly smile. 'Oh, have your eyes set on that hunk, have you?'

Irene gave her a slight smile 'Don't be absurd.'

Jenny let out a laugh. 'Oh, it's alright Irene, I myself would have jumped on that delicious hunky peice of meat if it wasn't for that blondie over there staking her claim, wouldn't want her claws on me!'

Irene looked back at them and could see Serena's hand still firmly placed at Lucas's hand. Serena looked up at her and Irene faced away.

'Irene?' Josie called her from where she was seated.

She moved away from the counter and walked towards the table confused. 'Yes? What can I do for you maam?'

Irene looked at all of them. They looked like they were waiting for something. Waiting for what exactly?

'How have you been?' Josie asked. Her tone wasn't a friendly one and Irene assumed she had just asked her for formality.

'I'm okay.' Answered Irene, knowing fully well that she was nowhere near being okay. But she wouldn't tell that to anyone, especially not to the sister f her ex-husband who hated her for everything she had not done.

'Okay good, why don't you have a seat.' Josie spoke and Irene shook he head.

'It's alright, we don't bite, unlike some people.' Josie spoke again and Irene felt ashamed at the accusation that was obviously pointed at her.

Warily she took a seat beside Josie. Her mother-in-law sat on her other side. Irene felt extremely nervous. She didn't know what game Josie was playing at. Lucas clenched his jaw and looked down at his food, ignoring her presence.

'What is it?' Irene asked bravely.

'This here is Trent, he's my fiance.' Josie replied.

Irene turned to look at the man seated besise Josie. He looked good thought Irene. Much better than Josie's previous boyfriend.

Irene turned back to look at Josie and raised her eyebrow 'Congratulations? '

Josie smirked. 'Thankyou, now the actual reason why I called you here is because we're going to get married next week and I would like it if you were there.'

Saying this, Josie held out a card dor her to take. Irene looked down at the invitation card and frowned. Why was Josie getting married so soon? The last time she had spoked to Josie was when she was still mourning her boyfriend's death. When had she met this Trent guy and why was she getting  married to him so soon? Irene shook her head, knowing she didn't have to think about it for it wasn't her buisness anymore. But this was Josie and no matter what had happened, Irene cared about Josie and this was so unlike her.

'You'll come, won't you?' Josie asked with a glint in her eye. 'Marriage is a beautiful thing, not that you'd know about it but since you've been a friend to me, I thought you'd want to see our blessed union happen.'