Chapter Five

'It's about time you got here!' Cassie spoke heaving a sigh as Irene made her way towards the kitchen.

'I know, I'm sorry I got late, I thought of taking a nap but unfortunately overslept, I hope the boss isn't mad?' Irene asked with worry etched on her face.

Cassie waved a hand. 'Don't worry about that, he's too busy at the moment, I'll see you tomorrow, bye.'

'Goodnight.' Irene replied giving Cassie a hug before rushing towards the kitchen.

Though the place wasn't huge and luxurious, it was one of the finest restaurants this town had. Her boss Patrick co-owened this restaurant along with his long time partner Kent, who was  away on vacation.

Apart from Irene, Cassie and Jenna, there were five more people that worked here. Jim, who sat at the reception, Hailey, who was a waitress just like them and Eric, who worked at the coffee machine. Patrick was a chef along with the twins, Alec and Allen who wroked alongside him.

Though there were enough people to serve, it just wasn't enough. This place was always cramped with people and at night, it was even more difficult.

Irene made her way through the kitchen and into the changing room. She quickly took off the dress she wore and put on her employee dress. The black frock reached down below her knees and on it, the restaurant's logo had been printed. The only thing Irene disliked about this place was this stupid dress that she had to wear  while serving. She felt awfully uncomfortable knowing that her legs showed while she kept moving around. The curious gaze of the customers didn't help matters too.

She met Patrick in the kitchen who was busy yelling at the twins for something. She quickly went on with her work. Irene sometimes got tired of the same old routine.  Take down the customers orders, rush towards the counter behind which the kitchen  was, bring back their orders, clean the dirty tables.

At ten, when the restaurant was almost empty with just a couple at the  corner and an old man digging into his food, Irene was too tired from all the constant work and was slumped in one of the chairs. She hated being a waitress, but could not complain since this was the only job she had thag provided food and rent for her apartment. If only she hadn't left...

Irene quickly shook away her thoughts. This type of thinking would do no good to her and she was already too tired to torture herself with the past.

'I'm glad you feel relaxed, what can I get for you? Perhaps today's special that's on the menu?' Patrick spoke from  behind of her, making Irene jump up from her seat.

'Uh..oh hey boss.' Irene spoke sheepishly as she kept her gaze on the ground feeling embarrassed.

Patrick shook his head. 'You look tired, go freshen up yourselves, our special guests would be here anytime now, you need to look presentable Irene, these people are filthy rich and God knows that this place needs customers like them.'

Irene nodded. 'Alright boss.'

Damn it! Why couldn't people eat properly? Why did they have to eat at all if they couldn't put one fucking morsel inside their mouth without dripping anything on the table and the floor?!?

Grumbling with irritation, Irene went on to clean the  floor, bending awkwardly all the while hoping no one would see her rear end. Perhaps she spoke to soon, because the  bell above the door of the restaurant chimed, signalling someone entering the restaurant.

'My my, isn't that a good view?' A voice spoke from behind. Irene froze and slowly turned to see her father-in law standing at the door. She quickly scrambled to her feet and took a step back, looking at the man with wide eyes.

'What are you doing here?' She asked hesitantly.

Anthony smiled and a shiver ran down her spine. 'Is that the way you treat your customer's? You seem to be lacking on your manners lately Irene dear.'

Irene couldn't speak. The very presence of him made bile rise up in her throat. But before she could move away, some other people entered the restaurant and with horror did Irene realise that all of them were none other  than her ex-husband and his family.

The moment Lucas met her eyes, Irene froze. So much time has passed. After so many days, she was seeing him again. He still looked as handsome as he had been. Lucas moved his gaze up and down her body, making her feel self conscious, before meeting her gaze. Once those eyes had been filled with warmth whenever Lucas looked at her but not, they were empty, filled with indifference and Irene could not stop the pain that filled her chest.

She moved her gaze away and looked at the rest of them. Her mother-in lae gave her a small smile before looking away and Serena smiled at her, flashing her teeth. Irene came back to her senses and remembered that she had a duty to do.

'If you would kindly follow me.' She spoke and led them towards a table when Patrick stopped right in front of them.

'Hello Mr Smith, Mrs Smith.' Patrick nodded at them in greeting and then turned towards Irene. 'These are our guests for tonight Irene, take them to our special table that's been booked for them.'

Irene's eyes widened at Patrick's words, but she had no time to think for Patrick gave her a quick shake, asking her to get a move on.

'Please come with me.' She spoke in a low voice and guided them towards their table.

Once they were all seated Irene took her notepad and asked for their orders, avoiding any of their gazes. After taking their orders, Irene moved away from the table. 'Your order will be arriving soon.'

Irene placed the order list on the counter where Jim was, before rushing through the kitchen towards the changing room without looking  back.

She then collapsed on the floor thinking about Lucas and his family. Why was he here? After all this time? Irene then clutched her hand at her chest, her eyes going wide remembering what they had come here for. Engagement! Lucas was engaged?!? To Serena? How was this possible? Why would he do this? Just a few months had passed and he was already moving on? Irene's heart constricted with umbearable pain as a sob broke through her.

He didn't really love her, did he? Why  was he able to move on so quickly and not her? And with Serena? Irene felt betrayed. Maybe he was always in love with his best friend and had regretted marrying her. Maybe he realised his mistake after marrying her. Maybe that's why he didn't listen to what she had to say before passing on his judgement. He couldn't wait to get rid of her. Irene felt sick knowing that Serena got what she had wanted all along. Just the thought of Lucas sleeping with her made her want to vomit.

'Irene?' Jenna's voice came outside the door.

Irene quickly wiped away the tears and stood up. 'I'm here.'

'Alright then come out, those flashy people's food is ready, we've got to serve them, or have you forgotten?'

'I'll be right out Jenna.' Irene replied and went to the attached washroom, washing away her tear streaked face.

How could she face them without crumbling?

When she thought she looked presentable enough, she made her way towards the kitchen where Jenna was waiting for her.

'Come on, let's go.'

The both of them carried the hot steamy food towards them.

Irene saw Serena sitting too close to Lucas.Why wouldn't they? They were engaged after all and were sleeping together. Lucas didn't even glance her way as if she wasn't present at all. As if she never had been a part of his life,   as if the time they had spent together, the memories they shared weren't real. As if they were never together in the first place!  Irene swallowed thickly and concentrated on putting the  dishes on the table in front of them. She looked up and then realised that Josie was present too and beside her was a man Irene had never seen before.

Who was he?